E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 330xi Manual, 2019 X3 M40i
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago I took my 2004 330xi to the dealer to get an alignment after I replaced the front suspension. They performed the alignment but noted in the receipt that they did not adjust the camber on one of the rear wheels because of a frozen alignment bolt.

So my question, can I remove/replace the camber bolt without screwing up my alignment? Are there any tricks I should know to prevent it from moving/changing during the process of replacing the bolt?

I would like to do this before my next alignment but they are not cheap so I would not immediately be planning to re-align.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
A couple of months ago I took my 2004 330xi to the dealer to get an alignment after I replaced the front suspension. They performed the alignment but noted in the receipt that they did not adjust the camber on one of the rear wheels because of a frozen alignment bolt.

So my question, can I remove/replace the camber bolt without screwing up my alignment? Are there any tricks I should know to prevent it from moving/changing during the process of replacing the bolt?

I would like to do this before my next alignment but they are not cheap so I would not immediately be planning to re-align.
Your camber affects the vertical lateral tilt of the wheel not the horizintal toe in / toe out so you will be ok. clean throughly and mark around the eccentric bolt flange and take a picture of it before you do anything else. Then try to get it out.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,359 Posts
The camber bolt goes through the center of the lower outer ball joint. It's NOT the eccentric that is stuck, rather the bolt shank is seized onto the metal center of the ball joint it passes through.

Lots of penetrating oil and try rocking back/forth.
You may very well need to replace the ball joint and the eccentric bolt?

ANY movement will affect the wheel alignment.

P.S. ANYTIME we perform an alignment; we check all the critical parts for any play, check the suspension. Then we hit all the adjustment points with penetrating oil and see if they move.
If they don't, we fix that first. Makes sense to me..... ;)

·
Registered
2001 325ci
1,080 Posts
after told that alignment wasn't complete due to right tie-rod frozen, i changed-out both tie rods, returned and got re-alignment for free (since paid before). i just hand a few $ as tip.

·
Registered
2004 330xi Manual, 2019 X3 M40i
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Just to confirm, per the realOEM document attached, for camber, I need to replace bolt 10 and potentially 'rubber mounting' 3 (is that a ball joint?) .

RearSuspensionRealOEM.jpg

And sounds like it will be challenging to not affect the alignment during this process if I am moving it around to get this out.

I was disappointed that the dealer did not fix it during the alignment process. Seems kinda half-assed to just leave it and say 'close enough'. I will see if they will re-align for free.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,247 Posts
Thanks guys!

Just to confirm, per the realOEM document attached, for camber, I need to replace bolt 10 and potentially 'rubber mounting' 3 (is that a ball joint?) .

View attachment 926202

And sounds like it will be challenging to not affect the alignment during this process if I am moving it around to get this out.

I was disappointed that the dealer did not fix it during the alignment process. Seems kinda half-assed to just leave it and say 'close enough'. I will see if they will re-align for free.
Especially since it is so much easier to do with their tools

1 - 7 of 7 Posts