E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to take my rear axle out and have the knuckles replaced along with getting my new bearing put on it. Here's my question, if I pulled the axle out would the car still drive with just the front? Obviously it's an XI model. This normally wouldn't be a problem but my Fiero is already stored for winter and I would have to dig it back out, put plates on it and everything else.
So anyway, is it possible or would the car just not move at all still without any load on the transfer case? I would only need to drive it for 3 days like that. I live in a small town, almost a village. It's impossible to get around without your own car. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
725 Posts
No - this would be like trying to drive a car with an open differential and one drive wheel in the air - all the power will go to the path of least resistance.

Luke

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No - this would be like trying to drive a car with an open differential and one drive wheel in the air - all the power will go to the path of least resistance.

Luke
Oh alright, I wasn't sure if the transfer case was set up solid or geared.

·
Registered
725 Posts
It's possible that it's a fixed split, I actually don't know for sure. However, I cannot imagine that this plan would be good for the car even if it would send some power to the front.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It is possible but would take coding. It would not agree with the traction control system at all. As far as I know the front wheels are powered full time like the rear but only carry about 30-35% of the power

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Try it. I'm interested to see how it works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts