1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,115 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, So I managed to record what the tire is doing as I go down the road. I also took video of my steering wheel bobbing back and forth in rhythm with the tire wobble, you can also hear the noise. Thanks to you guys, we established bad bushings, but would that bad bushing cause what's happening in the video? Thanks for looking.20220514_134803.mp4 and 20220514_135030.mp4
Edit: This is my spare tire in the video, I put it on to eliminate a rim being bent. So it does this with both daily and spare tires. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to DIY all my vehicles but I'm now stuck in an apartment complex with sloping parking lots. I think I am going to replace the hub, I think I can do that with just the jack? Then take it to a shop for the bushings. So frustrating to not be able to do all the work myself. Firestone stripped one of the lugs on the driver side anyway. The hub and bearing is a complete unit?

·
Super Moderator
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
6,604 Posts
I used to DIY all my vehicles but I'm now stuck in an apartment complex with sloping parking lots. I think I am going to replace the hub, I think I can do that with just the jack? Then take it to a shop for the bushings. So frustrating to not be able to do all the work myself. Firestone stripped one of the lugs on the driver side anyway. The hub and bearing is a complete unit?
Yes.

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
This is my spare tire in the video, I put it on to eliminate a rim being bent.
So you assume the working wheel was bent or did you verify this?
If the spare wheel is straight, then the video shows some nasty thing happened and it not related with the bad control arm bushing. Did car get in accident recently?

I don't think it's the wheel bearings issue, but you need to jack the wheel off ground then rock it at 12 and 6, then 9 and 3 and post the video. Make sure all lug bolts are tighten before the test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the spare wheel is straight, then the video shows some nasty thing happened and it not related with the bad control arm bushing. Did car get in accident recently?

I don't think it's the wheel bearings issue, but you need to jack the wheel off ground then rock it at 12 and 6, then 9 and 3 and post the video. Make sure all lug bolts are tighten before the test.
It's a salvage title, I believe it was t-boned on the passenger side. Here is a photop of the repair. Yes I was getting the same wobble with the daily driver tire, then went ahead and put the spare on to see if was a bent rim. It first started with vibration up front a couple months ago. I changed the hub centric rings, took it out on the highway for a 100 mph because that is where it would start to vibrate, when I got off the highway the vibration turned into what you see in the videos.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'll go ahead and do that and see what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll go ahead and do that and see what happens. Thanks
So I shook it at 9 and 3 and there is a tiny amount of play, considering that the bushing on the control arm made it worse. I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I replace the bushings and go from there? When I spin the wheel with the rotor on I could feel something grabbing every full rotation. I was thinking it could be a warped rotor, but cast iron doesn't warp? Anyway, I took the rotor off and checked for any warping but the rotor is flush both sides. If it was brakes, then i would feel them grabbing the whole time i spun them, not halfway a rotation? Thanks fellas

1 - 20 of 34 Posts