BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing OEM Front sway bar bushings.
Do you need to lubricate or use rubber bonding agent? I see other aftermarket bushing come with some sort of grease.
Went through Bentley manual, nothing in there.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
530 Posts
Probably not as necessary with OEM, but when I put in my aftermarket swaybars/bushings I wrapped that portion of the bar in plumbers tape and then sprayed white lithium grease on there. That is mostly to try to avoid the aftermarket urethane bushings from squeaking when in contact with the swaybar. OEM rubber bushings probably don't have this problem but it can't hurt to lube it up a little.

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
No, don't lube nothing. When pressing the bush into the bracket, it may need some help. A light coat, as light a coat as you can mange, of dish soap on the outside surface of the bush will make it easier. But if you can manage without, that's even better.

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
Installing OEM Front sway bar bushings.
Do you need to lubricate or use rubber bonding agent? I see other aftermarket bushing come with some sort of grease.
Went through Bentley manual, nothing in there.

Thanks guys
If Bentley doesn't say anything, it's probably right. I did mine, and didn't use grease or anything. All I learned, honestly, is the original that had done probably 180K miles on it was probably perfectly fine as it was...but I read here about how great they are and decided, I might as well. Noticed no difference at all.

Anyway, I'm sure no grease is needed and it might even be bad.

·
Registered
26,441 Posts
No, don't lube nothing. When pressing the bush into the bracket, it may need some help. A light coat, as light a coat as you can mange, of dish soap on the outside surface of the bush will make it easier. But if you can manage without, that's even better.
Nothing really to press in on this one. The bushing fits on sway bar and the bracket bolts up over it. I think it's a lifetime part like most of them, but as long as you have it already, OP, no sense wasting it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts