E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the context of my pss9 install

Are you supposed to use the spring compressors to put the new ones on, and put them tight enough such that you can put that plate on the top and thread the nut all the way to the bottom? I used the compressors but I think that I didnt install the plate down far enough 'cause I have some clunking now that I'm done.

Actually...how far down are you supposed to put that bolt? I know it says 40 some lbs of torque but I'm sketchy on this part.

I think the plates were all the way at the bottom too when I installed them and now my car is super low...waaaay low, and when the car settles I think it will be tooooo low, so tomorrow I think I'm going to see how adjustable the suspension is...granted if I need to take it apart to redo the bolt, I guess I could do it then.

To sum it up, I dont think the bolt at the top is tight enough, but when I twist it now, the inside of the shock just twists...and the car is too low :D

All fun things to fix tomorrow :D

<--- Thankful for a four day weekend, 'cause I'm taking all kindsa time with this install, haha.

Lemme find some pics of how low it is now...

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
here is one, the tire is turned inward slightly, i need to charge my camera for some better pics...

maybe i'm just worrying about the springs settling too much and shouldnt even be worried about it

granted the spring clunking/bolt tighting thing needs fixed tomorrow

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I'll try and impact wrench the bolt on top in the morning and see if that fixes the clunking...hopefully that will do the trick

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:
Looks like I'll try and impact wrench the bolt on top in the morning and see if that fixes the clunking...hopefully that will do the trick
Use an allen wrench in the end of the strut rod to hold it from spinning, then use a vice grips instead of a ratchet to hold the socket to tighten the strut rod nut. You'll have to guess at the 40 ft-lbs but lets just say that 40 ft-lbs is fairly tight.

An impact wrench can strip the threads off the strut rod. That would not be good.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips!

I was able to get the bolt down, front end is as solid as the rears now

Only thing I have now is a slight clunking in the front end, when i steer the car one way or the other under low speed. like backing out of the driveway, or a slow turn at a stop sign.

I'm assuming it is something to do with the way I got the sway bar linkage hooked up, obviously something is wrong, I'm just not sure what. I painted the calipers tonight, so the car is down for most of tomorrow as they say to stay off it for a day.

The shocks and springs are in place in the front end, so I'm pretty sure the slight clunking is the sway bar or something like that...anyone have any ideas?

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've figured out my clunking in the front end to be the spring turning on the perch, on that blue thing, and its making a noise. The top strut nut is tight, so I'm not sure why the spring is acting different on this side than on the other side.

·
Movin On Up
223 Posts
actually when my shop did my roomie's pss9's on his m3 they said you might here a few clunks while driving but that is normal its just things settling. if you comeback and reset the coil it will just begin the process all over again

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm, thx man, i'm around 400 miles on the new suspension and i'm still getting it. if its still doing it when i go in for the alignment, i'll have them look at it.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
My PSS9's have been completely silent since the day they I installed them. I think that if yours are making noises then there is something wrong. The parts are all designed to fit correctly in the first place - that stuff should not be moving around at any time. The parts that are designed to move should move quietly. The rest of the parts shouldn't make any noise.

I have about 1000 miles on mine, including one autocross event where I flogged the car without mercy. Never a peep from the suspension.

To answer B3EAM3R's question - I'm really happy with my PSS9's. They were worth the money and definitely change the car for the better. The handling is improved so much it doesn't feel like the same car, and the ride is much better than I expected it to be, just slightly stiffer than the stock sport suspension. And it looks good, too.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
B3AM3R said:
dont wanna thread highjack but how easy is it to change the height settings? do you have to remove the wheels?
You have to remove the wheels to adjust the height.

Adjusting the front height is very easy once you have the wheel off.

Adjusting the rear height is more difficult. You have to remove the wheel and disconnect the lower shock mount. The lower you go, the harder it is to adjust since the adjustment rings move down into the control arm and become almost impossible to reach.

Changing the dampening settings is easy, you don't have to take off the wheels or anything, although it makes it a little easier in the front if you do.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Definately worth the upgrade. I'm going to check the left front again before the alignment, but I'm not sure what the noise is coming from.

But I only hear that at low speed turns like you do when going in and out of a drive way or turning at a stop sign.

The car handles amazingly now, I'm more than happy with the ride!

Car hasnt settled that much after the 400+ I have on it, at worst I might need to raise the front a little bit (doubt it) but I'll probably lower the rears some too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.