E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 330cic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - I have through the majority of the forums on front end rattles for the E46. I am still stumped . I am getting a what seems to be metal on metal noise when hitting short sharp bumps at lower speeds (from the passenger side) - it sounded to me like it was the strut mount not fully seated on the strut - but I removed both sides ensure all items are seated and torqued properly. I have done the following so far:
(All done within the last 200 miles)

Front Control Arms (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Front Control Arm Bushings (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Tie Rods (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Front Sway Bar End Links (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Front Sway Bar Bushings (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Front Struts (Bilstein B8)
Lower Strut Pads (BMW OEM)
Upper Strut Pads (BMW OEM)
Upper Strut Hat (BMW OEM)
Strut Mount (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.
Reinforcement Plates for Strut Mount (Turner Motorsports)
Front Calipers (BMW OEM)
Front Pads (BMW OEM)
Front Rattle Clips (BMW OEM) - Read that this was a known culprit.

All items have been torqued to spec, checked to ensure no firewall or brake shields are rubbing, bent, etc. I have even rebuilt the full struts assembly with new parts and struts to ensure I didn't get a bad struts for some reason. Still at a loss. 2006 330CI 110k.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 330cic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem(s) have been resolved. As crazy as it may sound - after installing all new suspension hardware (front and rear), which needed to be completed - the car re-settled and stiffened up. The front metal noise ended up being the hood mounts - tightened and sprayed with WD-40 and the metal noised went away (I had a neighbor drive me around while I could really pay attention to that area). Finding the rear rattle, which was not on the original post, but discovered during my 5 hour hunt. The previous owner purchased a larger battery - which did not allow for the proper mounting hardware to be used. A folded up piece of cardboard was wedged to "support" the battery from moving. After the installation of new rear suspension components - the battery started to vibrate/rattle. After putting new support hardware together, the battery is properly supported - the rattle noise is gone.

I do understand these cars are 16+ years old, but sometimes a rattle/noise may be an actual issue. I am a little OCD on things - so I am glad I was able to correct the noises.

All is good now! Now time for an adult beverage to celebrate. Thank you for your feedback (I checked all your suggestions).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts