E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was involved in an accident and I want to rebuild my e46 but I want to know if it’s worth being fixed or should I junk it. How much y’all think it should cost.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,845 Posts
What happened? That might inform a bit better than from just the outside look...though I see thousands of $ just there.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
It will most likely be totaled since the airbags deployed. Odds are you will be able to find another in similar condition if you have a little patience.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have been taking really good car of this car and everything is in excellent condition it may be fixable. Looks like your door opens and closes, looks like your hood may actually still operate. Your strut tower may have gotten some damage which is really the primary factor in considering repair. You’re looking at a tie rod, control arm, possibly an upright(knuckle), possibly strut assembly. If your resourceful and get all of your parts from dismantlers, you may be able to justify repair.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
3,327 Posts
Look under the hood. If the two frame rails and the inside of wheel wells are bent/damaged it will be a major repair. If damage is only to the outside fender & bumper cover then that will be more easily dealt with.

Either way the insurance will total it if repair estimate is above something like 70% of the car's value, and it doesnt take much to get there given the value of these cars at this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hay if you are wanting the to sell it i need a trans all the way down to the rear diff i just shelled my diff

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I'm curious as to how you- all got to see the damage in the strut tower...
the front inner's designed to crumple just like it has before the upper
strut mount gets displaced.
Likewise, the condition of the front rail's a big mystery, too.

that said, the airbags alone have totalled the car. New ones are blindingly
expensive, and NO ONE will install a used airbag into your car.

All the body work is just icing on the cake.

If you wanted to fix it yourself from the junkyards, you're looking at a thousand in parts,
and then you'll need someone to measure it for you. Then there's paintwork, starting at $750
in TJ and easily heading north of $2k as you get north of the border.

Sorry. They're old cars. You could fix it yourself, but economically,
it makes more sense to buy another car than to pay someone else to fix it.

t

Reactions: txl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have been taking really good car of this car and everything is in excellent condition it may be fixable. Looks like your door opens and closes, looks like your hood may actually still operate. Your strut tower may have gotten some damage which is really the primary factor in considering repair. You’re looking at a tie rod, control arm, possibly an upright(knuckle), possibly strut assembly. If your resourceful and get all of your parts from dismantlers, you may be able to justify repair.
I looked and I know a little about cars only damage I can see is front bumper, fender, tie rods and stuff pretty much all the parts you mentioned and possibly a new expansion tank.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,599 Posts
I looked and I know a little about cars only damage I can see is front bumper, fender, tie rods and stuff pretty much all the parts you mentioned and possibly a new expansion tank.
...Indicator, headlight housing, probably a core support, fender liner and lower liner, wheel and tire. On second look I can see a wrinkle in the hood, so there's that and that confirms core support.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm curious as to how you- all got to see the damage in the strut tower...
the front inner's designed to crumple just like it has before the upper
strut mount gets displaced.
Likewise, the condition of the front rail's a big mystery, too.

that said, the airbags alone have totalled the car. New ones are blindingly
expensive, and NO ONE will install a used airbag into your car.

All the body work is just icing on the cake.

If you wanted to fix it yourself from the junkyards, you're looking at a thousand in parts,
and then you'll need someone to measure it for you. Then there's paintwork, starting at $750
in TJ and easily heading north of $2k as you get north of the border.

Sorry. They're old cars. You could fix it yourself, but economically,
it makes more sense to buy another car than to pay someone else to fix it.

t
Yeah the car means a lot to me and I’m looking to do most of the work myself. I don’t know I’m 19 and I’m going through a lot and I want to rebuild this car but I don’t really know. Takes a lot of thinking and idk what’s best at this point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...Indicator, headlight housing, probably a core support, fender liner and lower liner, wheel and tire. On second look I can see a wrinkle in the hood, so there's that and that confirms core support.
In person I haven’t really seen any hood damage but I’ll have to check again. As far as finder liner I’ve been kinda hoping it’s not in bad shape under the finder because I feel that may be out of my league. Indicator and headlight isn’t to bad wheel and tire easy and as far as core support I’d have to do more research.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just remembered I think the core support is a little bent on the end near the horn I figured if I could hammer it back in place it should be fine.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,599 Posts
I just remembered I think the core support is a little bent on the end near the horn I figured if I could hammer it back in place it should be fine.
You can see in the first picture where the hood is bent, half way back on the whole left side. It's done that because the core support that it's latched to pushed backwards. Even small front end accidents in these cars break the mounting tabs off the light housings.

You asked for our advice and we're giving you the benefit of our experience, but you're not listening. You're pushing $2k in wrecking yard parts just to fix the bolt on stuff, then there's the time on the frame machine that it's likely to need that you can't do yourself.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You can answer many of these questions yourself by opening the hood and snapping a few pictures, but that looks like a very concentrated and hard hit. I think you are going to find all manner of deeper damage. Frame horns, steering rack, A/C parts, RF suspension and its mounts, etc. It looks like the A pillar gap with upper fender closed which indicates the shock tower moved. Also, it looks like you were driving around missing two lugnuts?

Reactions: hudsojt

·
Registered
2002 330 Ci
676 Posts
I think you're better off letting that go. Your looking at airbags and structural damage. If it was just cosmetic I'd say fix it.

I had some one cut me off last year in my e60. This is what happened. Right after I did a ton of upgrades. Insurance wanted to salvage it. I canceled my claim and fixed it. Mostly cosmetic.

One stock hood...200 bucks. I also have a gtr hood, 700 bucks. Wife hates it though.
M5 fenders 350 bucks.
Headlights....1400. Cause fucking xenon with self leveling turn through corner bs.
Core support, rad, condenser, fan...400 bucks.
M tech bumper....500 bucks.
Oil filter housing and lines...250 bucks
Vinyl dip.... 400 bucks.

Almost 3k to fix.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts