E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
jbriedis said:
Nice writeup!

I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.

-Jason
I too experienced a problem. Brett at KMS had warned me about these bushings. I too drive aggressively. Doing autocross style weaving side to side I could hear and feel the bushings sliding up and down the control arms. I have replaced the powerflex with the OEMs.

After examining design of the OEM bushings...I see why he has such low regard for these powerflex. The powerflex are harder and will not wear like the factory...but they rotate and slide within the carrier and themselves, and the control arm slides within the bushing. These probably are fine for highway driving....but did not feel safe with the driving I do. I will just have to stick with these OEMs and replace every few thousand miles until there is a better replacement.

PM me if you are interested in purchasing the powerflex, already in the carriers so you don't have to worry about pressing out the old ones.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don't know what you are talking about. Bimmerworld runs these on their E46 world challenge cars.

Brett knows his stuff but so does bimmerworld.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
All I'm trying to convey is that these are not simply upgrades with no downsides.

The design is quite different than the factory bushing, poly vs rubber nonwithstanding. The fact that the inner sleave rotates freely within the outer sleeve is probably what makes the powerflex last so long (this retriction is likely what makes the factory bushing fail in such a short time). The fact that the outer sleeve is not in a metal carrier (like many poly bushings), and that the bushing did not require pressing onto the control arm is what really worried me.

No doubt these bushings will definitely save you money in the long run. This is still a great tweak...just not perfect.

YMMV :)

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I guess I would still have to disagree. Having one of the first sets of bushings from bimmerworld installed in my car for near 6 months now my real world experiance is what I am going based on. I drive my car hard and on less than idea roads with no issues as of yet.

Tim

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
nospam said:
Tim, what are your feelings about the design differences of the bushings? Sorry about the edit above.
For the positives of the power flex bushings you covered why their design seems good. As for the down sides I simply don't see them. What does it matter if the outer sleeve isn't metal, the carrier is. I also don't see what the difference is if they are pushed in or not. The design of the out portion is such that it is very difficult to remove once in place and I do not see it coming out while driving.

I guess the things that they eliminated I do not feel were needed but was the way that the factory designed them to take into account the oil filled center section of the stock bushings.

Tim

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jason posted the real world possibility regarding one of the negatives of this bushing design. I did not experience this...only feared it. I just feel better safe than sorry.
jbriedis said:
I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,613 Posts
Any other ideas on how to get the stock bushings off the control arm, other than a dremel? I mean they are on there pretty good...that appears the only/best way to go about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
nospam said:
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.
Good news, bmwbushings.com's E46 solution should be ready in about two months. I have been talking with a few different tuners, its seems only Bimmerworld are fans of the powerflex bushings. I'll post more info on bmwbushing's solution soon.

·
Premium Member
4,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
nospam said:
Good news, bmwbushings.com's E46 solution should be ready in about two months. I have been talking with a few different tuners, its seems only Bimmerworld are fans of the powerflex bushings. I'll post more info on bmwbushing's solution soon.
Sounds interesting, looking forward to seeing what they come out with.

Tim

·
Registered
88 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:
Any other ideas on how to get the stock bushings off the control arm, other than a dremel? I mean they are on there pretty good...that appears the only/best way to go about it.
I did'nt have the puller so used a small angle grinder to GENTLY cut through the inner section, then split it, but it's kinda awkward in such a confined space.

Another downside of the Powerflex bushes is that the grease will be washed or dry out and they may squeek or begin to wear :dunno:

·
Registered
42 Posts
ok, im about to do this. i am still a bit apprehensive about getting the sleeve out of the carriers, as i do not have an angle grinder. wish me luck!

btw, can i rent a jack, like the one tim has in his pic, from autozone? i have no tools so i need to rent all of them, will autozone have what i need?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually had this done today by a shop for 128 dollars which I thought wasn't unreasonable. If you can explain to them exactly what you want them to do, I am sure that you can get a shop to do them also. All I did was take the urethane bushings there and explain, they proceeded to do the rest. I was going to do the DIY but also had regrets about getting the sleeve out so I saved the headache and stress. No more steering wheel vibration and no more clunking. Thanks for the DIY Tim, wouldn't have been able to get them to do it without your post :bow:

By the way Autozone around me does not rent out jacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ExoByte said:
I have a '99 328i. Does anyone know if I would have to upgrade my control arms (if I have the original ones) with the 66 mm bushings? :dunno:
What I mean is, will the replacement OEM 66 mm bushings and carriers fit on a car that has the 60 mm bushings and pre-0101 control arms?

·
Registered
9 Posts
ExoByte said:
What I mean is, will the replacement OEM 66 mm bushings and carriers fit on a car that has the 60 mm bushings and pre-0101 control arms?
Bump. Certainly someone knows the answer to this.

Also, www.bmwbushings.com's bushings should be available in about two weeks pending testing results.

·
Registered
207 Posts
ExoByte said:
I am in the same boat...the 66mm will fit in place of the 60mm!! I just ordered mine from the dealer! BMW part number 31126757623

Trieberg?? Just did this and he said that it was a fairly easy job! Make sure to follow Tim330i's procedure for torque specifications on the cross bars and carrier to body. :thumbup:

41 - 60 of 334 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.