E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
jbriedis said:
Nice writeup!

I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.

-Jason
I too experienced a problem. Brett at KMS had warned me about these bushings. I too drive aggressively. Doing autocross style weaving side to side I could hear and feel the bushings sliding up and down the control arms. I have replaced the powerflex with the OEMs.

After examining design of the OEM bushings...I see why he has such low regard for these powerflex. The powerflex are harder and will not wear like the factory...but they rotate and slide within the carrier and themselves, and the control arm slides within the bushing. These probably are fine for highway driving....but did not feel safe with the driving I do. I will just have to stick with these OEMs and replace every few thousand miles until there is a better replacement.

PM me if you are interested in purchasing the powerflex, already in the carriers so you don't have to worry about pressing out the old ones.

· Registered
24 Posts
All I'm trying to convey is that these are not simply upgrades with no downsides.

The design is quite different than the factory bushing, poly vs rubber nonwithstanding. The fact that the inner sleave rotates freely within the outer sleeve is probably what makes the powerflex last so long (this retriction is likely what makes the factory bushing fail in such a short time). The fact that the outer sleeve is not in a metal carrier (like many poly bushings), and that the bushing did not require pressing onto the control arm is what really worried me.

No doubt these bushings will definitely save you money in the long run. This is still a great tweak...just not perfect.

YMMV :)

· Registered
24 Posts
Jason posted the real world possibility regarding one of the negatives of this bushing design. I did not experience this...only feared it. I just feel better safe than sorry.
jbriedis said:
I did experience a problem with these bushings under hard driving. The inner sleeve actually pushed up the control arm a bit under load and stayed up there. The result was that the inner sleeve was no longer seated properly in the delrin outer portion. Not sure how to solve it. I may make some sort of clamp that can prevent this from happening.
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.

· Registered
24 Posts
nospam said:
See http://www.bmwbushings.com/ for examples of some better urethane bushings with metal sleeves. Hopefully, there will be an e46 solution soon.
Good news, bmwbushings.com's E46 solution should be ready in about two months. I have been talking with a few different tuners, its seems only Bimmerworld are fans of the powerflex bushings. I'll post more info on bmwbushing's solution soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.