E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am going to attempt this myself this weekend. However, I do plan on bringing the carriers to a shop to have the old steel sleeves pressed out and the new bushings pressed in. One question, why did you have to remove the front wheels before taking the carriers off? Also, did you tighten the brace back on while the vehicle was still up in the air, or were they tightened down after the car was lowered on to it's own weight. The reason I ask is, I read somewhere that if you do not tighten up the bolts under the weight of the vehicle, some binding could occur after lowering the car. I am new to all of this, so pardon my stupidy. Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
Started replacing my bushings today

Finally got up enough nerve to attempt to change out my front control arm bushings today, so far, so good, Tim's write up has been very helpfull so far. I only had time today to remove the drivers side carrier and clean up the control arm. I managed to get the rest of the bushing off of the control arm with a 2 jaw puller I borrowed from a friend (see pic). This worked extremely well. I am going to try and make the tool Tim described in his write up to remove the metal sleeve from the carrier. Do I need a bech grinder to grind down the pipe cap or is there another way (don't have a bench grinder). Also, the new bushings have like a lip on both sides, how did you press the new bushing in with the lip, did it just squeeze through? How much does autozone charge to rent a ball joint press for a day? Thanks in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
tim330i said:
Glad you are giving it a try.

I used an angle grinder but a bench grinder, dremel tool or something else might work also.

The lip on the new bushings just gets pushed through. A ball joint press requires a $105 deposit but is fully refundable when you return the press, so it actually doesn't cost you anything to rent it.

Good luck,
Tim
Yep, rented the ball joint press yesterday from autozone, also bought a torque wrench while I was there. I also broke down and bought a bench grinder yesterday from Lowes. I bought a 2" cap plug in plumbing, and this fit perfect to press out the driver side metal sleeve. But the pass. side one the plug just keeps "slipping" inside the the sleeve and it won't push it out. I am stuck at this point. I started grinding down a 2" cap yesterday, what a pain, takes forever, I hope this works because I don't know what else I can try, maybe a large socket? Everything was going great up until this point. I sprayed the sleeve with a penetrator/magnetic lubricant last night I hope this frees it up a little bit. Any other ideas? If I can not get it out, does anyone know the part number for the carrier? Thinking I might just have to buy a new carrier for the pass. side. Thanks in advance......

·
Registered
245 Posts
Got it out!

I finished grinding down the 2" cap to use to press out the metal sleeve out of the carrier. I took me a long time to grind it to fit perfectly. So I set up the press with it, start turning, and the press pressed right through the cap, uggggg! The sleeve did not budge. Feeling desperate, I took the carrier with the sleeve still inside to the local shop to see if the mech. could take a look. Five minutes later it was out. The guy was amazing to watch. He used a air hammer and a recipricating saw and it came right out. So last night I pressed the new bushings in. Only thing left to do is bolt everything back together, which I plan on doing this afternoon. I have enough plumbing caps and plugs, and misc. crap to open up a plumbing warehouse, hehehe. A word of advice to avoid my problem, make sure when you press out the old bushing that press is perfectly straight before you start pressing, if starts out crooked at all, the sleeve will be stuck. Other than that, it's relatively easy. Are there any other bushings I should look at replacing while I have the press rented? If so where are they located. Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
tim330i said:
Sorry you had a problem with my techniqe. As I said I am not sure it is the best way but it did work for me.

Not really an easy install because of the OE sleeves but otherwise it isn't too bad.

Tim
Not at all criticizing your technique, if I had made sure that I had everything dead straight on the press before I started, I am sure it would have worked. Besides, without your write up I would have never attempted this myself. Just glad they are out and I can finish it up today. Thanks Tim for your help couldn't have done it without you or this board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.