E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just purchased the front impact strip and installed this installed. didn't realize till I took off the plate holder but they installed by drilling into my bumper :(

overall looks much better without the plate but does anyone know of a quick way to sand/fill and touch up these two drill holes?

not the biggest deal but takes away from the point of the delete a little bit + I'm anal

thanks for any suggestions !!

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
Learn how to do bodywork. Buy bumper filler and sand till smooth. Prime and paint, blending the paint into the surrounding area.
No shortcuts. Just the way a pro would do it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
appreciate the response

however I was lookin more for like some sort of compound I can use to fill the holes? then maybe use some bmw touch up paint just to blend it in. it's hardly noticeable as it - just lookin to make it practically invisible

the holes are smaller than a finger mail - I'm not tryin to repaint the entire bumper just for that

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
I think if you messed with this, it would be more obvious than the way it looks now. I had a license plate mount on my front that I removed, leaving two small self tapping screw holes. When I put a clear bra over the front of my car, I just covered the holes and it decreased the noticeability factor. I think that's the best you're going to do without skill.
I'm going in to have my rear bumper completely painted in a few weeks for $350 at the dealer. If they do good work, perhaps I'll return for the front.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Find some small plastic caps, like the ones they use to fill unused holes all over the car - look under the hood, inside the door jambs, and inside the trunk for holes covered with plastic plugs, if you are not sure what I mean.
You can buy these at any auto parts store. Get some that are just a bit larger than the holes, and clean out the holes with an exacto knife, until it is a tight fit in the holes, and the caps sit flush, once you have a good fit, take then out and paint them with BMW touch up paint. Make sure you do it right, use primer, then paint, then clear coat (it is going to be on the front of the car, so it will see a lot of abuse). Put as many coats of color as you can, and as much clear coat as possible.
It will look fairly OEM, and you won't have to mess around with filler, sanding, and painting your front bumper, which I will guarantee is easy to fvck up. It is a good way to cover it up until you can afford to take it to a good body shop and pay the price to have it fixed correctly.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Oh I just noticed that you have a sedan, thought you had a coupe. Bumper installation on sedan vs. coupe is way different since coupes dont have the impact strips right? So you better check your reinforcement bar and make sure its not f'd, I think they were supposed to install the 8 rivets and let the bumper hang on the side brackets right? Dont know what they were thinking, hope its not as bad as I think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.