E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
QUICK:
Does anyone know what the plastic piece with tabs is called on the far right corner of the fender which attaches to the bumper? Also, where can I find it? I broke mine and need to replace it.

EXPLAINATION:
This evening I attacked a parking bump and lost... I didnt even hear the front bumper go over it and it ripped off the right side of the bumper...

I have everything reattached for the most part, but the piece that connects the bumper on the far left corner broke off. The holes on the bumper itself is intact, but the tabs that go into the holes broke.

I checked realoem.com for the part and I cant find it anywhere. i am starting to wonder if it is a pice that is directly part of the fender, but that doesnt make sense, because it is a small plastic piece ATTACHED to the fender.

PICTURE:
This is not a pic of the car broken - just a pic of location.

This is a pic of the clip I am missing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also noticed that there aren't any screw holes or anything to unscrew and remove it. How do i get the original one out of there? Also because I am doing this on my own, if i install this properly will be alignment be screwed up? I hate doing body parts, they make me nervous b/c if it is off I will stare at it forever - slight OCD.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome! Thank you everyone! Now my last question is:
I also noticed that there aren't any screws to unscrew, just push in pieces. How do i get the original one out of there? Do I need to drill it out or is there a tool?

·
Registered
526 Posts
The guide is heat welded to taps on the bumper cover. You broke the tabs. If you are lucky, there is enough left of the tabs to replace the part and using a soldering iron, melt the end of the tabs to the new part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Crap... I really dont trust myself to do that... Body Shop here I come! Thanx guys - this forum is always helpful, you guys are the best. I will order the part and take it to my favorite body shop

·
Registered
973 Posts
I hate to rekindle this thread, but what did you get it repaired for? I just recently had the same problem happen, and was trying to decide if it's worth it to do it myself, or if the body shop can take care of it cheap.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Wow this is an old thread but I too have the same problem and has been this way since I bought the car. Its so dam annoying to see that cause I like my rides to look and perform tip top. Glad to know that the piece is available. I tried looking at realoem too as I always have success but not that time. Very interested if anyone has pictures of how to install it, maybe we can drill and rivet it in. All you long time members, this is your call to help some newbs out here. I will state that I havent done any searching yet as I dont have time to repair it until business slows down some. (oilfield) So thanks in advance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The plastic bits are riveted to the fender as well as the bumper. Get a riveter from home depot for like 20 bucks with rivets and you're good to go.

Broke this bracket in my other car and had to replace. Dealer charged me like 15 bucks for it. Not bad.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks, looks like its gonna be OK then HAHA. I have access to rivets, power drills, and a huge air compressor here at work.

·
Banned
2,035 Posts
i have a pair if you want them. just PM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts