BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I'm just doing a checkup on my car before hitting the road. Changed the oil etc... While I had the skid plat off to change the oil, I noticed that the front right axle on my car has had a creasy substance coming out of it where it spins freeley after connecting the front differential. This is happening only on one side. Have any of you guys with XI ever had problems with there front axle's etc.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2001 Xi had a leaky front differential that the dealer had to replace some seals on it to stop the leak. It sounds like the grease in your CV boot is leaking out because either the boot is torn or not sealing very well.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
happened to me. I needed a new cv boot. I had the ontrol arm bushings replaced too. Eventually the axle completely broke (car had to be towed) a week after the dealer said it was perfectly fine! :yikes: The day before
4ngiefest too. :censor:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes...very important to get that boot replaced before moisture gets in there and ruins the axle. There are "cv boot kits" you can buy for $30-50 per boot. I actually just replaced both my front drive axles about a week ago...along with my control arms and sway bar ends links.

Since I replaced both axles completely, i'm not sure if you have to remove the axle completely to use those boot kits. If so, Zach has a great DIY for replacing the axles that you can use to get yours off and then back on after replacing the boots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWGHdZvBbI

1 - 5 of 5 Posts