BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum & excited to finally be a e46 owner. At 34, my motocross racing career is on the decline & its time to pick up an new motorsport. I "stole" this vehicle from my father's car collection and couldn't be more excited to enjoy & struggle with a modified '01 M3 Coupe. Having grown up around a couple e46's they've been a dream car since I could drive. Located in Metro Detroit I am stoked to get to the track and apex on 4 wheels. Surely I will have issues a 109k mile vehicle--with mods done at 90k(mod list=very incomplete). Forewarning as I'll have questions...THANK YOU in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,107 Posts
Last photo (y)
Using ALL the road and taking the unloaded side over the kerbs!

That's how I would hit the left after Big Bend @ Lime Rock. Sets you up perfect for the next right.
Cool stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks MrMCar, Lime Rock looks like an exciting racetrack. I hope we cross paths one day. Enjoy your summer!

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,107 Posts
It was, (Lime Rock) but I just couldn't get the flow of it. Other longer tracks such as Bridgehampton (RIP) the Glen & Road Atlanta worked well for me. Stay on the gas, use as little brake as possible and fly.
Try as I may, I never put all of the pieces together @ LR. Lost tons of time from West bend to the apex of the Downhill. And no, the bottom of the hill didn't scare me.
I was fast from the straight through the uphill. Just that last section never came together. FWIW I find it (for me anyway) harder than the Bus Stop-Carousel complex @ the Glen.

Getting long winded and nostalgic, I remember preparing for a EMRA race at the Glen, yes even as an instructor I would take out someone better than me for a critique.
Got an Ex Trans Am driver in the car and he asked, "What do you want".
OK then, give me an honest 5 laps, which I did. Pulled back into the pits and he was silent....WTF.
He asked me what I thought? I explained that I was having issues with the whole Bus Stop complex and def not smooth there...
Then he yelled at me. Well WTF are you doing? You lift, then coast, then turn in, then wait...then exit. You're loosing 2 seconds there, the rest is fine.

He then coached me through that complex. man by the end of the day I was flying through there. Like he said. Just hit the brake a little on entry, throw it in there, let it JUST settle than turn and back on the gas and jump your way out. And that was before they flattened out the (now) curbing. That's FUN!

What worked for me..... Take a section of XXX track and spend the day, getting it all together in that section as fast and smooth as possible. Then the next time work on another section and master it. After a couple, 3 days put all of the pieces together.

Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It was, (Lime Rock) but I just couldn't get the flow of it. Other longer tracks such as Bridgehampton (RIP) the Glen & Road Atlanta worked well for me. Stay on the gas, use as little brake as possible and fly.
Try as I may, I never put all of the pieces together @ LR. Lost tons of time from West bend to the apex of the Downhill. And no, the bottom of the hill didn't scare me.
I was fast from the straight through the uphill. Just that last section never came together. FWIW I find it (for me anyway) harder than the Bus Stop-Carousel complex @ the Glen.

Getting long winded and nostalgic, I remember preparing for a EMRA race at the Glen, yes even as an instructor I would take out someone better than me for a critique.
Got an Ex Trans Am driver in the car and he asked, "What do you want".
OK then, give me an honest 5 laps, which I did. Pulled back into the pits and he was silent....WTF.
He asked me what I thought? I explained that I was having issues with the whole Bus Stop complex and def not smooth there...
Then he yelled at me. Well WTF are you doing? You lift, then coast, then turn in, then wait...then exit. You're loosing 2 seconds there, the rest is fine.

He then coached me through that complex. man by the end of the day I was flying through there. Like he said. Just hit the brake a little on entry, throw it in there, let it JUST settle than turn and back on the gas and jump your way out. And that was before they flattened out the (now) curbing. That's FUN!

What worked for me..... Take a section of XXX track and spend the day, getting it all together in that section as fast and smooth as possible. Then the next time work on another section and master it. After a couple, 3 days put all of the pieces together.

Enjoy your new toy.
I enjoy hearing about your track progression...rewarding and humbling. I'm looking forward to trackdays as I get to know this car better & get a vented hood to combat heat. For me proper confidence is everything on the track, many laps on sportbikes at Grattan got me to that point. Talk of Watkins Glen*, Road Atlanta, even Mid Ohio get me pretty pumped

1 - 9 of 9 Posts