E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Am a proud owner of a 2003 325xi touring 5 speed with 240,000miles that I purchased almost a year ago for 4k (it needed A LOT of work). I'm a car guy, have been since I was little and I take great pride and joy in taking care of my car and working on it. I have a pretty sweet car for a 17 year old and my friends are envious. Well this past Friday night (it was verrrrry verrry rainy) I went out with a "friend" to get something to eat and burn time. My "friend" begged me noncessantly to let him drive and after a good 15 minutes of it I gave in. So we went to a big high school parking lot so he could drive it around. I handed my precious baby over to him and he went like demon possessed, I can't even explain it. He turned DSC off and put it in 1st and got the car in a drift and he lost it. Instead of powering off like I told him he kept power on and went sideways right into a curb. The wheels were tucked under the car and I could tell the damage was bad. Upon further inspection I found that both front and rear axles were shatter, the rear shock was bent(good excuse to get blilstiens!:D ), the diff was knocked out of its mounts completely, upper and lower wishbones were were bent, front spindle was destroyed, and the body right behind the rear driver's side door was bent slightly inward. (Because the impact the trailing arm took at an angle that was outside of its design limits.) Long story short I called my dad and got a tow truck to bring it back to the house and we put it on jack stands. I have no collision insurance so all the parts have to be paid for by me. (Luckily I have 1,500 in savings bonds). The kid never apologized and has yet to contact me even though ive called him multiple times. I would really enjoy beating the **** out of the kid....... yeah,, I've found all the parts at a BMW specialty junkyard for under $600. The bodywork is going to be what costs big$$$. I thought for sure the car was totaled but my Dad and I have decided to fix it. It's a pretty rare car, actually really really rare, so I'm glad we can save it. This year it's going to get an m54b30 swap and a 6 speed ;) Anyway, I've only got one photo of the damage but I'll put some more up tomorrow morning.

before: After:

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow, what a shitty "friend". Can you prove he was driving? My guess is not but eh.

Good luck.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No i cant. my mom has looked into taking him to small claims court but it would probably end up backfiring and getting me in trouble. The police didnt show up the scene either (prbbly a good thing). Hes kind of poor so i think he's afraid he's going to have to pay for it. haha, my parents were more mad at me than him because i let him drive. yeah, Ill admit, it was my fault..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would have beat his ass when he wrecked it

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
God reading this makes me feel mad. What sort of an assh0ke friend is that.
Lessons learnt. On the bright side, it was an 4k e46 instead of something like e90 335i or even a M.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Sucks about the car. Good life lesson, though. Trust your gut. If something feels like a bad idea, it most likely is. And anyone who doesn't respect your property is definitely not a friend.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sorry about the car man, but as others have said its a good life lesson. Good luck on getting the car back on the road!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Every single one of these threads starts out as "I let a friend drive my car and he crashed it."

It is never "I stupidly turned off DSC and went into a curb."

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm surprised you use the word 'friend', my friends would apologize and pay the bill !

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought he was a friend but he obviously had no respect for my car or me. I just know if i was driving it never would have happened. I'm a damn good driver for a teenage guy. I drive well because if I ever wrecked my baby and it was MY fault I'd prbbly shoot myself.

·
Registered
27,048 Posts
I can count on two hands the number of people who have driven my 3 since I got it in 2004. At your age, I would NEVER consider turning over the keys.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I thought he was a friend but he obviously had no respect for my car or me. I just know if i was driving it never would have happened. I'm a damn good driver for a teenage guy. I drive well because if I ever wrecked my baby and it was MY fault I'd prbbly shoot myself.
Keep that mindset.

Post a rebuild thread ;) Live and learn don't beat yourself up to much.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Sorry to hear. Please do not take revenge, it will not change anything now.

You should of beat his ass first, and then he would have known not to ask you to drive your car...eh, but hindsight is 20/20.

Lesson learned.

Good luck on the repairs!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I keep getting lucky with this car! so last night my Dad and I were under the car cussing at the diff mount because it***8217;s a PITA to get back in and the neighbor at his new house he's just now moving into walks over and in a thick accent says "ehhh you need help? My brother and I, we BMW techs.***8221; We knew they were bimmer guys because they***8217;ve got 2 5 series, an E36 M3 and an old 7 series. We had no idea they were BMW techs though. ANYWAY, they***8217;re both from Greece and got into BMW's at a young age. One owns his own BMW and VW shop and the other works for BMW. They knew what they were talking about. Both were VERRY knowledgeable and were a HUGE help. My dad and I talked to them for A LONG TIME about their M5 powerd, manual 7 series and 700hp E46 they ripped the rear end out of. haha.

If everything goes as planned we should have the car back on the road by Sunday. Got all the parts I need from a BMW specialty junkyard (Al Rudd***8217;s auto parts) for under $500. I***8217;m going to have to go to a frame shop to get the body bent back right. I was going to get bilstiens but I decided to just get a used shock for $30. Then I have to get the front and rear end re aligned.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts