E46 Fanatics Forum banner
121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
RAISE HELL AT THE DEALERSHIP IN FRONT OF ALOT OF CUSTOMERS, ESPECIALLY ONES WHO CAR STANDING AND LOOKING AT THE NEW 7 SERIES. THEY DONT WANNA LOSE THEM 100k DEALS AND WILL TRY TO CALM YOU DOWN AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO. IF NOT RAISE HELL AGAIN. I'VE DONE THIS RAISING HELL CRAP AT THE RIVERSIDE BMW AND THEY TOOK CARE OF ME QUICK. I DROVE THE CAR INTO THE SERVICE DEPT AND WOULD NOT LEAVE. HANDED THEM THE KEYS AND WOULD NOT TAKE THE KEYS BACK.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yes. I don't remember all of the details- I think it was in Georgia- and it actually involved BMW NA, not an individual dealership. The vehicles had been extensively repainted without disclosure. Search some of the boards, you could probably find info about it rather easily.
And because of that lawsuit, BMW NA set the repair cost threshold above which they (via the dealer) are required by BMW NA policies to inform the new car buyer of the repair. As another poster said, the VPC's (NJ and CA) are considered extensions of BMW AG and not BMW NA. This is because cars are not delivered to BMW NA until they complete the vehicle prep process. Once the car is delivered to the dealer, the dealer's policies related to repairs (that occur after dealer receipt but before delivery to the new car's buyer) are in effect. This sounds like the dealer took possession of the car, damaged the bumper and had some guy paint it at the dealership under unknown conditions with materials of unknown quality using unknown skills.
Just because the dealer says "Not my problem" doesn't mean that the dealer is off the hook. Remember, the car was delivered new with a "bumper to bumper warranty." That means, except for damage caused by the owner, BMW NA is on the hook for the car. Now, because the dealer painted the bumper, the dealer is on the hook for the bumper's warranty. Just because some Tier 1 (bottom level) customer relations person said, "Not BMW NA's problem," doesn't mean BMW NA is off the hook either. They have a great deal of "sway" over the dealers.

My advice - talk calmly with the dealer GM. Explain to the GM/remind the GM (be calm) that the car was delivered with a "bumper to bumper warranty." Since the word "bumper" is used in the phrase "bumper to bumper warranty" twice it can be assumed that both bumpers - one at the front and one at the rear - are covered by the "bumper to bumper warranty." And, while you don't fault the dealer for repairing the bumper and not telling you, the buyer, about the repair, you expect the GM and the dealership to abide by the "bumper to bumper warranty."
If you get resistance, start reminding the GM of the thousands of BMW owners (many in SoCal) who read this and other similar websites dedicated to BMW's. Tell the GM of the bad press that could result from the dealership's failure to honor the "bumper to bumper warranty." Remind him of the free good publicity that the dealership will receive via this and other websites when the dealership does honor the "bumper to bumper warranty."

Remember, be calm and business-like. :str8pimpi

·
Registered
790 Posts
Ive lost my love for bmw i bought mine at dealership as well as a x3 full m package $60k, xi wagon $46k and my 330ci $34k...all bought straight cash no loans...when i go in there for a small issue they pass the buck...so f*ck bmw!

·
Registered
347 Posts
yah well, FWIW, i had a similar experience buying my Range Rover (CPO). dealership that sold it made me sick with the bs and shadiness. i had to go at it with the GM just to get my brakes fixed (he sold it to me in need of rear brake work to the tune of $500 - can you believe?). well, it really just depends on dealership though b/c i just went to another one for warantee maintenence and they went above and beyond. it's sad - you would think that when you are spending a certain amount of money on a depreciating asset, and a luxury marque, that good customer service would be included in that price.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
This is very common. Not shady. Not illegal. Repairing minor damage before delivery is a regular occurence. However disclosure is not required unless repairs exceed a certain threshold, like you were told.

A quality respray of the bumper would cost about $300 max. Ask Shelly BMW repaint it again and ask them to cover their work in writing for a reasonable time period, like the length of the factory warranty. That is reasonable.

Good luck, and most of all, stay calm until all other options have been expended.
+1. Try this route first and if this isn't resolved I would then contact BMW NA and explain everything to them in detail. Try that next. GL:thumbsup:

121 - 129 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.