BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just noticed a 3 inch deep pool of water around my battery today.

Theres a black plastic screw to the right of the right speaker (in the rear deck). That screw is dripping constantly when its raining!

How would i fix the leak? Do i have to disassemble the rear deck?

Let me know if anyone has ANY experience with this, or any recalls or known fixes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I just noticed the passenger side C pillar is wet inside. I removed the interior reading light and it was wet back there.

So im thinking its a sunroof leak? Any known fixes?

·
Registered
242 Posts
the sunroof gasket does go bad with age or parked in hot weather a lot,
it's easy diy to change it, i think stealership charged one hr labor for it lol when you could do it in 10 mins.?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This car has been parked underground for the last 4 years. I see what you are saying, but would it cause a pool in the trunk?

·
Registered
242 Posts
i don't know how it flows in the channels if it's coming from the sunroof and goes towards the back, but most trunk leaks are due to the gasket
maybe there's 2 separate leaks? hard to tell without actually looking at it
i hope you find a fix soon though, vancouver weather is not dry ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
604dude – That’s a lot of water! Since it was not mentioned, I’ll assume your headliner is not wet, correct?

It sounds like your rear sunroof drain tubes have either failed or somehow become disconnected. If they were clogged your headliner would be wet.

Remove one of the rear c-pillar covers. Open the sun roof and pour a small cup of water into the sunroof channel at the rear corner matching the c-pillar you removed. If the tube is sound and connected, water will run out in front of the rear wheel. If not, it will flow into the c-pillar and onto the rear deck.

I’ve attached a sketch that illustrates the tube that mates the sunroof cassette with the c-pillar drain. It’s item #20, and there is one at each rear corner. Item #20 is for the coupe, for reference item #12 is for the sedan. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
604dude – That’s a lot of water! Since it was not mentioned, I’ll assume your headliner is not wet, correct?

It sounds like your rear sunroof drain tubes have either failed or somehow become disconnected. If they were clogged your headliner would be wet.

Remove one of the rear c-pillar covers. Open the sun roof and pour a small cup of water into the sunroof channel at the rear corner matching the c-pillar you removed. If the tube is sound and connected, water will run out in front of the rear wheel. If not, it will flow into the c-pillar and onto the rear deck.

I’ve attached a sketch that illustrates the tube that mates the sunroof cassette with the c-pillar drain. It’s item #20, and there is one at each rear corner. Item #20 is for the coupe, for reference item #12 is for the sedan. Good luck.
Thanks for your help, I poured water in the sunroof track and removed the passenger side rear c-pillar cover. Most water drained out behind the rear wheel, but some did come into the car!

No, the headliner is not wet at all.

So what can i do to fix it? Am i going to have to remove the headliner and the sunroof tray?!?! because that will suck...

there are drain plugs at the bottom each side. These plugs may have clogged up causing water trap. clean them out.
I can see the front drains, but not the rear drains. Where are they, how do you get to them, and how do you clean them out?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
No need to remove the sunroof cassette, but the headliner will have to be removed/dropped. I have no experience with a coupe ***8211; the small tubes that mate the sunroof cassette to the c-pillar drain tubes may be rigid plastic. Perhaps someone can confirm. The sedans use a rubber, convoluted tube that***8217;s a slip, interference fit. There are no clamps. I suspect the coupe is similar since no clamps are called out in the parts break down. If there is any good news it***8217;s that the tubes are cheap ***8211; just a few dollars. Perhaps yours have either cracked or become disconnected.

Removing/dropping the headliner isn***8217;t that bad, at least not in the sedan. I removed mine to remove, repair, and upgrade my sunroof cassette. If I were replacing or repairing those rear tubes I believe I could do so without removing the headliner from the cabin. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dam sounds like a bit of work. The only problem is the cold temps right now.

Would it be easier to try un-clogging it first?

·
Registered
968 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, it doesn***8217;t sound as though the drains are clogged. When the drains become clogged the sunroof cassette fills with water and spills over onto the headliner and into the cabin.

Yea, removing the headliner is a bit of a pain. Believe it or not, perhaps the toughest part is removing the b-pillar trim.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it doesn't sound as though the drains are clogged. When the drains become clogged the sunroof cassette fills with water and spills over onto the headliner and into the cabin.

Yea, removing the headliner is a bit of a pain. Believe it or not, perhaps the toughest part is removing the b-pillar trim.
Ok I will try it out.

Thanks for helping me out with some actual knowledge and experience. Its something of a rarity these days on these types of forums. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
That***8217;s Ok. I***8217;m assuming the car in your sig is the one with the water intrusion problem. It***8217;s a beautiful machine ***8211; it must make you a bit ill to find water leaking into the cabin.

Sounds like you are gonna give it a try. If so, here are a few things that may help you and maybe save you some grief.

If you think you need to remove the headliner from the cabin, remove the front seats before hand. I removed the front seats and I***8217;m glad I did. Even with the front seats removed it was a bit of a squeeze removing the headliner from the cabin. Had I left the seats in place, I***8217;m certain I would have damaged the headliner (and interior) while trying to remove it. Front seat removal is easy. Unbolt the seatbelts, disconnect the electrical connectors, and remove the 4 bolts that secure it to the floor. Easier to maneuver the seats out of the cabin when they are reclined. I imagine this is relatively easy on a coupe ***8211; much larger opening.

Also, hide the keys or disconnect the battery. If someone selects position 1 or 2 on the ignition switch while the seats are disconnected, your SRS light will illuminate and will have to be reset by the dealer.

On the other hand, you may be able to locate/fix the problem by simply dropping the headliner. I***8217;d be tempted to try this first. If you find that you can***8217;t repair the tubes, you can always temporarily tack the headliner back in place while you remove the seats.

There is no need to remove the a-pillar covers. The leading edge of the headliner slips between the upper end of the covers and the roof. After everything is removed the headliner will not drop down. It must be moved rearward about an inch. The trailing edge of the headliner is ***8220;J***8221; or hook shaped and fits onto a ***8220;Z***8221; shaped piece of structure that spans the width of the roof. When it***8217;s time to reinstall the headliner you must have a helper. Someone will have to feed the leading edge of the headliner in between the a-pillar covers and the roof while you make certain the trailing edge is properly hooked in place. Sounds harder than it actually is.

Removing the b-pillar trim was a pain because, on a sedan, the door sills overlap the bottom section of the b-pillar trim and must be removed. The sills were held in place by 5 or 6 plastic pins that don***8217;t like being removed. The coup appears to be very different ***8211; it may be much easier.

Most everything else is pretty straight forward. Remove the sun visors, hand holds, courtesy light assy, rear view mirror, b- & c-pillars, alarm cover, center brake light, and pull down on the molding that surrounds the door. Did I forget something? Oh yea, the interior sunroof molding just pulls of.

The good news: No special tools required and you will save yourself a BUNCH of money. Good luck with this.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome, thanks for shedding light on the procedure. Should really help all the future members when they run a search for the same problem.

Im thinking I can just drop the rear of the headliner and work from the back? All i have to do is remove a little tube, then install a new one, right?

I really dont want to start removing all the little accessories like hand holds, rear view mirror and sun visors... Ever time i try a DIY job i end up breaking something else!

Yes, its happening on the M3. I just drained 2 liters of water from the trunk!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, I'm afraid that won't work. remember, the rear edge of the headliner is "J" shaped and wraps around a section of "Z" shaped structure attached to the roof. In order to clear this and drop the headliner, it must move rearward about an inch or so. The next time you are in you car get in the back seat, lean back and look up at the rear edge of the headliner. Try to pull it down a bit with your finger tips. I've attached a simple sketch that illustrates how its secured.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well....I just did a search and found this thread.

My battery died so when I went to switch out the battery I noticed about a 1/2" of water pooling in the battery bucket.

I'm guessing it may be the same issue.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I see the water is suppose to come out of the front rear wheel but mine seems to be coming out of the rear bumper :confused:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts