BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found out in a hour lol that if your hood of your car isn't shut close you can't start your car.

i found out the hard way. i was puting in my angel eyes or should say the guy in the stero shop. and he wanted to move my 2003 m3 smg so he close the hood put not totally he did not lock it.

when i try to start the car it would not go into gear. i was calling for the flatbed. when i told the installer to put my car back together.
when he did and shut my hood he tried again and found that
the car started. we came up with the point that this must be a safety feature. that nobody told me.
from being at a low point, i make it into a high point after i found this out
bobm3 :yikes: :yikes:

·
Registered
780 Posts
i don't think they have that on my 2000. :sad:
anyway I found something new today to. I guess it would say it in the owners manual but I never read that.

You can open the gas tank lid from the trunk by pulling the green tab.

Attachments

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,397 Posts
TimeFor said:
i don't think they have that on my 2000. :sad:
anyway I found something new today to. I guess it would say it in the owners manual but I never read that.

You can open the gas tank lid from the trunk by pulling the green tab.
Oh man...ur a newbie...ahha jk...cool feature but old news:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :tongue: :thumbup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
yea I guess it something I should have found back when I got my clears. But I still haven't put them on. ( No amber bulbs ) I don't know why I have gone this long without getting bulbs... I just saw that in there when I was cleaning the trunk.

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
lol who cares just put yoru clear bulbs in

·
all stock
382 Posts
Is this really true and after the incident, did you retest it? Because if it is, how can an M3 be dynoed? On a dyno, the hood is always open and can't be shut all the way due to the RPM pickup wire.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
its an SMG thing (don't think the hood open effects the manual tranny)- and yes, its next to impossible to accurately dyno an SMG m3

·
all stock
382 Posts
Why is it next to impossible to dyno an SMG M3? Aside from pulling the fuse trick, what other characteristics limit the SMG M3 from being dynoed? It's possible to dyno without the RPM pickup and you'd just get horsepower but you wouldn't get torque figures. As I was thinking about this, the way to route it would be up towards the windshield and the hood can be shut this way. I'm assuming SMG is easier to dyno than steptronic cars.

·
Crazy Boy
1,356 Posts
when my hood wasnt closed all the way it would start but it would ****in pop into neutral at a stop light and id have to put the selector to O and move it back every time till i figured it out.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
KromeX said:
Why is it next to impossible to dyno an SMG M3? Aside from pulling the fuse trick, what other characteristics limit the SMG M3 from being dynoed? It's possible to dyno without the RPM pickup and you'd just get horsepower but you wouldn't get torque figures. As I was thinking about this, the way to route it would be up towards the windshield and the hood can be shut this way. I'm assuming SMG is easier to dyno than steptronic cars.
for specifics you will have to ask loki - they tried several times and it would not work as far as i know

·
Registered
115 Posts
I posted awhile back how to dyno a SMGII equipped M3 in this thread:

http://forum.E46Fanatics.com//showthread.php?s=&threadid=35605

The hood/gear related "safety feature" is SMGII related and not on 6spd manual cars. After doing several runs to find out the method to dyno my car, the engine was quite heat-soaked even after letting it cool down... I manage to get 273wrhp. I've heard some dynos as high as the 290s, but of course it's all subjective based on the dyno method, machine, car, weather, etc, etc, etc...

Have fun spinning your tires y'all. :)

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i did not want to try it at that time

i trip out when it did not want to go into gear. i was just happy that i had the car in gear and out of the stero shop i was in.

i was thinking what next can happen to me next. a two week old car
800 miles on it plus being a bmw. all the workers in this shop
was telling me i should have bought a american car.

that bmw was over rated .and i was getting mad and i was just trying to be kool about it. i think next sat. i will try it i will let
very body know.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts