E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What part is broken so I can order that first?

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to reply.
Rehabbing my daughter's new 2001 E46 330ci vert has so many priorities that I haven't taken on the power top yet.
But Spring is Coming....

·
Registered
6 Posts
What part is broken so I can order that first? View attachment 921968

Thanks in advance to anyone who has the time to reply.
Rehabbing my daughter's new 2001 E46 330ci vert has so many priorities that I haven't taken on the power top yet.
But Spring is Coming....
I think It is the broken spring assembly for the linkage cover. "Not important" But it does affect looks when the top is down

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The spring and arm are part of the hinge cover, and they are disconnected but not broken. Do you still have the hinge covers?
If you mean the triangle shaped "wings" I bought 2 replacements but havent installed yet because I wanted to have a second set of eyes so I don't end up with a spiderweb.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After googling your suggestions, I found the parts. Tension spring and push rod. Both parts cost 3.00 combined and it may not even be broken. The push rod looks like a poorly machined molded plastic doodad on RealOEM.
Thanks for your help. Next step is buying the center top drive motor.
That is more than $3. :oops:
Bob Haney

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That spring has nothing to do with your top not working. That's the spring for the covers on the soft top. Very common for them to come off as the plastic hole in the cover breaks and becomes a useless slot after time. Some owners get a few more years just by drilling a new hole next to the one that turned into a slot. The cover is easily fixed permanently - no need to purchase new ones at $100 or more each. Here is one that has been removed.

Here's my solution:

I cut a small piece of tin from a dog food can that is twice the size you see. One half needs to be slightly edge trimmed as one side is narrower than the other. I then folded it over and expoxied it in place. Once the expoxy cures, drill a new hole for the spring. It'll never break again.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,967 Posts
After googling your suggestions, I found the parts. Tension spring and push rod. Both parts cost 3.00 combined and it may not even be broken. The push rod looks like a poorly machined molded plastic doodad on RealOEM.
Thanks for your help. Next step is buying the center top drive motor.
That is more than $3. :oops:
Bob Haney
I have one. DM me

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,967 Posts
Clarification - I have a center top drive motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That spring has nothing to do with your top not working. That's the spring for the covers on the soft top. Very common for them to come off as the plastic hole in the cover breaks and becomes a useless slot after time. Some owners get a few more years just by drilling a new hole next to the one that turned into a slot. The cover is easily fixed permanently - no need to purchase new ones at $100 or more each. Here is one that has been removed.
View attachment 921982
Here's my solution:
View attachment 921981
I cut a small piece of tin from a dog food can that is twice the size you see. One half needs to be slightly edge trimmed as one side is narrower than the other. I then folded it over and expoxied it in place. Once the expoxy cures, drill a new hole for the spring. It'll never break again.
Amazing fix. Now I have to buy a dog food can. My pooch is gonna have a feast! Thanks to everyone.

·
Super Moderator
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
6,967 Posts
Used this same trick to fix my good friends broken tab as well after a new hole turned into a slot after just a few weeks.
I simply can't read that sentence and feel like you are talking about anything other than some seriously weird sexual s**t

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I simply can't read that sentence and feel like you are talking about anything other than some seriously weird sexual s**t
Hey when we need our tab to work right we need to get creative. Parts aren't cheap and as they say "20 bucks is 20 bucks".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I learned to reset my vert top by holding the button and turning my ignition to position 2 three times.
The windshield motor started spinning, the flap motor turned on its own, and the hydraulic motor seemed to pressure up.
When I opened up the windshield latch housing, both cable drives were broken, and both hinge arms were completely shattered.
Apparently the latch motor wouldn't turn because the sensor magnet was gone and the latches were rocked. Once both the cables were broken the motor was free to spin.
I am very excited that this may be a mechanical problem vs. an expensive motor problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts