BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

What are your long term SSK Impressions?

• Absolutely Love It

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Hate It

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Went back to stock

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Changed brands

Votes: 2 7.1%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles have you put on your cars with the SSK and are your current impressions of the kit the same as when you first installed it?

Any transmission related issues? Many people on this forum have talked about whiring, whining, and vibrations after installling a SSK and I would like to know if anyone has experienced any tranmission related issues over time.

I just installed a UUC SSK and love it but I am experiencing some similar issues. No big deal but what are the long term affects?

Thanks,

J.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a UUC SSK for about 11K miles. The feel and control is great. It does transmit more noise back into the cockpit. I get a fairly strong buzz in the first/second gear shift that gets progressively quieter as I shift up through the gears. I'm still using the stock shift knob and have heard that aftermarket knobs with postive set screws will reduce the noise significantly.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mac, I am also experiencing the buzzing mostly in 1st and 2nd with high RPMs and a stock knob, I am waiting for my RKII on back order, we will see if that reduces the buzz.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,857 Posts
got RE ssk for almost 1k miles.. love it

·
Banned
988 Posts
I have had my UUC SSK for over 5k and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. It makes the shifts so much shorter and makes the car feel much sportier. I love it:thumbup:

·
www.my330i.com
1,927 Posts
I have 24,000 miles on my UUC Short Shifter and it works as good as it did the first day....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I've done at least 17,000 miles with my UUC SSK and have had absolutely no problems. Better than the 1st day ;)

·
Almost stock
745 Posts
Had the UUC ssk but it buzzed when shifting in my car, replaced with the RE SSK with WSR and all has been good for about 25,000 miles... :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I'm really curious now so I have two quick questions for those of you have had buzzing/vibration noises with the UUC SSK.

What kit did you buy (options etc.) and what shift knob are you using?

The reason I ask is because when I installed my SSK I also installed an OEM matte chrome ///M knob and everything was schweet :D Then, when I bought all my ACS stuff and installed the new knob I had a slight rattle at something like 4,000 rpm :banghead: At first I thought it might be the knob since it's multi-piece, so I took it back off and gave it a good shake... nothing :confused: Put it back and the noise came back :sad: I took it back off, cut the little finger off a laytex glove, shoved it over the shifter and reinstalled the knob. It hasn't made a peep since :thumbup: If you are using an all metallic knob (the OEM ones are plastic) this could solve your problem. Worth a try anyway.

*UUC/Rob, is this top tip worth a discount on fly wheel or some Very Serious Brakes? ;)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I've had the UUC SSK for 8K and I don't have any problems - no buzzing, no whirring, no vibrating - just short, clean, crisp throws. You may experience a little notchiness at first, but it all goes away after a 200-300 miles. This has been one of my favorite mods :thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
this is a very informative thread, as i plan on gettin geither UUC or Rogue SSK in the near future (most likely UUC). i have also heard that if you get the UUC Tranny Mount Enforcers (TME's) that there can be some major vibrations. a board member had these and experienced a lot of vibrations, removed them, and now everything is back to normal

BTW, how have your dealers responded to the SSK? i dont want mine b!tching at me too much...

thx

-brendan

·
Registered
374 Posts
BTW, how have your dealers responded to the SSK? i dont want mine b!tching at me too much...
I'm interested in this as well. For example, I figure that before the warranty is up, I'll probably want to get the clutch replaced. I don't want them to give me a hard time on this because I have a SSK.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,245 Posts
3Wagon said:

I'm interested in this as well. For example, I figure that before the warranty is up, I'll probably want to get the clutch replaced. I don't want them to give me a hard time on this because I have a SSK.
this is my exact concern!!! some info would be apreciated :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Registered
535 Posts
Have my RS ss (custom made for 50% reduction in throw)with the RE weighted selector lever since past 23k miles.
Love it and no noise or vibration whatsover.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts