BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Dinan Pimp
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you keep from feeling guilty about driving your bimmer through the winter?

The first snow fall in Buffalo is happening tomorrow. While I'm looking forward to doing some drifting and seeing how she handles in the snow...I'm a little depressed about it too. :eek:

·
www.piratecove.org
3,704 Posts
i dont feel guilty, i can't wait!

hit a big parking lot after it snows and slide around some...its gonna be a blast...

oh that and i know that my next car is gonna be even nicer than this one :eek:

im hoping the considerable snow holds off in Akron until the end of the month...i'm not looking forward to putting the snow tires on

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
it drifts like sh... it SLIDES AND SPINS like a mad man with DSC off.. Be careful though.. I have heard of it screwing up cam sensors.. and i know for a fact that too much spinning will stall the car out.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,818 Posts
god, i feel real bad driving it in the winter, but i have no garage, so its gonna be in the snow and salt anyway, if it just sits on the sidewalk :thumbdwn:

snowtires are a must, and use ur brain when navigating anything resembling a turn. i think i will go out and find some cinderblocks this year, to put in the trunk.

·
Registered
11,303 Posts
i don't want to drive my baby in the winter, but I'm sort of looking forward to it because of all the fun i'll have :D

still wish I had a beater though :banghead:

·
Registered
569 Posts
UH OH!!! POWERSLIDING SEASON IS COMING UPON US!!!

how easy is it to f up the cam sensors? How should i drift with a manual? Should I put the clutch all the way down to prevent stalling? What do I do? I only use to mess around with my front wheel drive car with e-brakes; no clue on how to slide around w/ a manual RWD bimmer

·
Ultimate Wagon
1,659 Posts
Come on, poeple! BMW is Germen engineering, they have snowy winters too, and you are "concern" about driving it in snow?

All my Bimmers were/are driven through out Inland Northwest winters. Had two E36 and a C280K in the past, all handled snowy / icy condition nicely & safely. Same to my current E46 and E39.

Make sure you have good now tires on all 4 corners... and don't try anything stupid ... snowy months are not supposed for "performance driving".

·
Registered
938 Posts
you guys are all crazy if youre gonna take your bimmers and drift in them...i dont know about you guys but im not trying to get in a wreck this winter. my car slides like crazy when it starts to rain down here...so i cant even imagine whats going to happen in the snow. im just gonna try to take it easy. no drifting here. :nono:

·
needs a new sig...
4,662 Posts
Do i feel bad - NO
Do I have Snow tires - YES
Do they make a difference - YES
Is DSC good in the snow - YES
Is DSC good when stuck in the snow - NO
Is DSC + Snow tires the way to go - YES
Does DSC + Snow tires make a RWD BMW handle like an AWD car in the snow - NO..but its damn close!

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,089 Posts
I don't feel guilty. It's just a car...

Put on a set of snow tires, apply a little common sense, and you'll be fine. :D

·
Banned
603 Posts
It's pretty fun, although I probably wouldn't drive it around residential areas w/o snow tires again...it was fun while it lasted...

Our cars make good sled pullers too ;) :thumbup:
I dont think people should feel bad about driving it in snow...its only a car...You should only care about it to a certain extent, not to the point where you can't go out and enjoy yourself/the weather. I'd only feel bad if my car isn't garaged..thats just WRONG!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Do snow tires and "cinder blocks" in the trunk really help? I've never lived or driven my car in the snow, but I might go to school on the east coast next year so it would be good to know.

·
Like school on a Sunday...
786 Posts
How to slide/drift in a BMW in the snow:
1. Put car into gear (or D if you have an auto)
2. Depress the gas pedal.

·
needs a new sig...
4,662 Posts
dboffa said:
How to slide/drift in a BMW in the snow:
1. Put car into gear (or D if you have an auto)
2. Depress the gas pedal.
with DSC on and Snow tires it doenst slide

·
mod bug resistant
621 Posts
This is going to be my second winter and I'm looking forward to it. I have Blizzak LM-22 winter tires and couldn't be happier with their performance in both snow/wet and dry conditions.
Oh, and I don't feel bad at all. A car was meant to be driven.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,988 Posts
it is fun but you should have

snow tires on all 4 corners for best results for driving in the snow and ice. i have 4 lm22 and i feel like i am in a 4x4. trust me 4 snow
tires on a 3 series is like driving between night and day. period
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,600 Posts
Re: it is fun but you should have

bobm3 said:
snow tires on all 4 corners for best results for driving in the snow and ice. i have 4 lm22 and i feel like i am in a 4x4. trust me 4 snow
tires on a 3 series is like driving between night and day. period
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:
Bob, how much did they run you?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts