Votes: 4 8.9%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting about that time...first reports of snow are coming in all over the place...and well, time to ditch the nice rims for the sh1ty winter ones.

Thing is, I'd kinda like to get a bbk sometime on my car...thing is only winter rims I have are the old oem ones that came with my car when I got it...and they are 15s!!!!

So I'd need to get some 17's at least... Maybe eventually sell my current nice rims and get some bigger ones...but that is another thread.

So basically, how big are your winter rims, and any suggestions on decent looking rims for the winter...keeping in mind that they are winter rims :D

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah I posted this in general...thought it would turn into a general snow thread :D

·
Bahn Burnah
2,360 Posts
I put my original 15's on, with some snow treads. For the winters up here, I don't really care how they look. I don't want to waste money on nice rims that will get ruined with the salt, and possible curb damage from sliding around etc. most cars will look like crap during the winter anyhow. so the best solution I could come up with is, that I am buying a beater for about $2-3K to drive on the $hitty days.:thumbup:

·
www.piratecove.org
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool, you are from cleveland? i'm down in akron...not too many of us northern ohio guys on here :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ya, same here.

On my E36, i just put on some winter tires on 15 black steel rims, with hubcaps over. The hubcaps are also good to keep the salt and everything else from getting into the wheel well and on the rotors, calipers, etc...

T

·
-not a mod-
21,149 Posts
Ill just put back on my stock M68's when the time comes...Ill probably buy some snow tires for those..

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,325 Posts
I got a set of replica 17" style 44's from Wheel Exchange and Blizzak LM22 tires, 225/45-17 from Tire Rack. My car looks the same in summer and winter. And the Blizzaks are amazing!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I bought a set of used M68's in great shape and bought LM22's.

I could not stand the look of steel wheels on my car, even if it's only a few months... Not even sure if they make 17" steel wheels. I say go with a 17" wheel. Look for a set of used type 44, 68's or any other type you may like. But you will have to do some searching in the classifides for the right price.

15" and 16" look way too small on the car too me. I would personally stay away from 18's for the snow.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
may I suggest getting styling 73 rims, 7x17 and slap on some 205/50R17 winter tyres on those? Especially the more narrow size makes it better for winter conditions.

·
Registered
296 Posts
PhilH said:
I just got 17" Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires for my stock 17" M68 wheels. I'm getting 18" summer tires & wheels next Spring.
That's funny Phil, I'm doing the same thing. I've got the Dunlops wintersports too (mounting them for the last time on my style 96's) and next summer getting bridgestone so3s for my 18's.

Not too bad for our philly winters.

·
Registered
373 Posts
palooka666 said:
That's funny Phil, I'm doing the same thing. I've got the Dunlops wintersports too (mounting them for the last time on my style 96's) and next summer getting bridgestone so3s for my 18's.

Not too bad for our philly winters.
There's never been a better excuse for the wife for a second set of wheels than "I need another set for snow tires". :D

Do you have your 18s picked out yet? After much debate, I'm almost definitely getting the M135 ZHP wheels.

·
my 3rd e46, 1st ///M
2,677 Posts
i'll be throwing some ContiExtremes or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S (All-seasons) on my 18" RC's in a short while

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello from Buffalo!
We know snow.
My first BMW a 318, I had Dunlop Graspics on 15" steel wheels.
This saved my aluminium wheels from salt and allowed me to make the seasonal change without the mounting and balancing.

All of those recommending 17 0r 18" wheels should note that going to this large of a wheel usually means going to a wider tire.
Wide is not good in snow. You want narrow to dig down not wide to float over.

Ultimate solution.....Winter car. I now have a 325Ci that isn't driven in the winter.
I bought a low mileage VW Fox that's a great winter car. Front wheel drive, great mileage and light enough that I can virtually push it myself if it gets stuck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts