BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my car both of my headlights have been ridiculously foggy and scratched. I tried an at home "headlight revival kit" and it didn't help at all..may have even made it worse but since both headlights were equally effed, I wasn't that worried about it. About 6 months ago I hit a deer and got my passenger side headlight, fender and etc. replaced. The difference between the new and old headlight was beyond amazing..the new crystal clear headlight made the car pop and look so much cleaner so instead of spending $80 on a new lens I decided to buff it (since I'm a buffer for auto parts company) and hope for the best! When I buffed the lens I completely took out all the haze and fogginess as well as some of the scratches and it looked much better but many of them were too deep to buff out. I decided to wet sand it starting with a rough grit (1000) to be sure I removed all underlying scratches. Due to the harsh, uneven lines around the corners of the headlight that I had to pound out, I realized someone already tried to do it but did a terrible job and only hit the center of the lens for some reason. After 1000 grit I went to 2000 and hammered it pretty good and went down to 3000. Note: many buffers/ auto body shops think 3000 is worthless but it honestly makes ALL the difference in the world when it comes to complete removing wet sand scratches and it makes it much easier to buff afterwards. ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379285950.662232.jpg (Before) ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379286021.178232.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1379286039.371284.jpg (After)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. Did you coat the lenses with anything to delay them from hazing again?
I used 2 types of polish. First, a gray polish thats more brasive and then a blue polish for a little more shine. I still have a bunch of scratches on the inside because someone thought it'd be a good idea to sand the inside of the lens?!?! For now, it looks much better but I'll probably buy a new lens eventually

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Nice. Did you coat the lenses with anything to delay them from hazing again?
I purchased some headlight sealant from AutoZone. It comes in a big bottle that'll last you the life of your car, because you don't need to use it more than a few times. I use it practically every 3 months or so just because I like nice, clear headlights, but since buying it over a year ago I haven't even gone through half the bottle.

I seal it with two coats, then put a coat of Carnauba wax over it. Headlights aren't ever gonna get hazy on my watch :)

One thing I've noticed about the facelift 2-doors is that the inside gets either dirty or hazy with some sort of film. I can't tell exactly what goes on, but to get to that you'd need to disassemble the headlights. I really, really want to do it and then seal the inside, but at the same time I am a bit nervous to bake it in the oven...

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
Yeah man, I agree about 3000. It's a necessary step and saves a crapload of compound. I do a ton of headlight restorations at work, I do reconditioning in a Nissan lot with 500 used cars and I'm the only person there who can wet sand and do headlights lol

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
yah i had to use a rough grit a first to get all the rock chips out, took alot of work. plus it takes off the UV coating.

if yurs arent bad and dont have alot of rock chips then this is the way to go

otherwise your better of getting new ones from khoalty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts