BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one have experience with either Focal 165w or 346is use for their front speakers?

I'm currently using ADS PH30.2 amp with ADS 346is for front, ADS 236is for the back and Alpine 9815HU and JL 12W6 for sub. But the sound seems like its too warm. Any suggestions?

tks

ps, what crossover point? any recommendations?

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,275 Posts
A little too warm. Could need some eqing. The focals are more detailed and the ads are more of a warm speaker. Focal utopia is overall a better speaker. I used to like ads more, but have started to move away from that warm analytical sound.

·
Registered
155 Posts
before you blow the wad...

THe utopias are phenomenal for sure- but I've seen too many installs where it's quite overkill- your system is only as strong as its weakest link- the utopias are awesome speakers, but require as pure a signal as you can throw it them, AND as tight an install.

Before you go blow the better part of a grand, I would say check out the quart premiums or even the references- which are a bargain and which are brighter and colder sounding.

I have alot of experience with the a/d/s/ boston pro and quart seperates- I just replaced my BA pro 3 ways with quart premium 2 ways- it was a space reason, but overall the sound is a little colder and sounds nicely paired with my 6 ch a/d/s/ amp... the a/d/s/ speakers are very warm- and I think you'd be doing yourself a favor by replacing the speakers instead of trying to process in a colder sound- the less links in your chain, the stronger your sound. period.

just my 2 cents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts