E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
everything was connected through a harness. i didn't cut anything, so i'd assume it is connected. and i know the facotry business cd antenna cable is connected to the factory amp in the back.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
330LICIOUS said:
everything was connected through a harness. i didn't cut anything, so i'd assume it is connected. and i know the facotry business cd antenna cable is connected to the factory amp in the back.
On that harness, did you connect the blue wire to the head unit? That is the wire that provides power to the antenna/amplifiers.

Also, do you have 2 antennas? If you do, you need to use the one with the bigger connector.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ca1242 said:
Did you connect power to the antenna/amplifier turn-on (white wire in the car)?

hrm.. ok i took the unit out (bizn$%tch full of wires, i must've forgotten how messy it was) and i noticed a white (and white/black stripe) wire that wasn't connected. there're also grey/grey striped wires not used. i forgot why i didn't use those, but it must've been because the connection instructions didn't require them. so are they supposed to be used??

the blue is connected. but if i remember correctly, isn't the blue for remote?

thanks in advanced

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
330LICIOUS said:
hrm.. ok i took the unit out (bizn$%tch full of wires, i must've forgotten how messy it was) and i noticed a white (and white/black stripe) wire that wasn't connected. there're also grey/grey striped wires not used. i forgot why i didn't use those, but it must've been because the connection instructions didn't require them. so are they supposed to be used??

the blue is connected. but if i remember correctly, isn't the blue for remote?

thanks in advanced
Yes, blue is for the remote. If the blue wire is not powered up, the antenna will not work. While you have everything out, check the wire with a meter to make sure it has power (head unit could be bad).

Also, while you have the radio out, plug another antenna to make sure your tuner is not bad. If you don't have another antenna, stick a wire or small screwdriver temporarily to test.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks... though i don't think anything is bad. the stations are all working fine, i get all the channels. it's just that any station broadcasting 30miles away is very "static-ky". once i drive closer toward there, it's ok. i live in the San Jose, Bay Area and i get the BIG channels, but the smaller local channels i used to get clearly with the BMW unit, now i have to drive to San Francisco for it to be clear.. so i think it's the Pioneer's weak setup.

anyways, sorry about ranting on and on, but back to the original question, it there simple amplifications i can do to strengthen signal?

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
330LICIOUS said:
thanks... though i don't think anything is bad. the stations are all working fine, i get all the channels. it's just that any station broadcasting 30miles away is very "static-ky". once i drive closer toward there, it's ok. i live in the San Jose, Bay Area and i get the BIG channels, but the smaller local channels i used to get clearly with the BMW unit, now i have to drive to San Francisco for it to be clear.. so i think it's the Pioneer's weak setup.

anyways, sorry about ranting on and on, but back to the original question, it there simple amplifications i can do to strengthen signal?
If you do get the signals, but it is staticky, then it is another story, working on a car stereo shop, I have learned that aftermarket units have lower quality tuners than OEM units (Alpine, is one of the company that makes good tuners). Not much you can do. Signal amplifiers are just a waste of money (the car already has one built-in).

The only way you are going to get better reception is to drill a hole in your fender and install a regular full-size "mast" antenna (I rather have the poor reception).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Whats weird is i still have my OEM deck but i installed a jl 500/5 amp and subs, removed the OEM amp. Before i did this i had great reception, now i have horrible reception. I wish i could figure this out.

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
Where is the JL amp installed? Is it close to the antenna amplifier (left rear C pillar)? If you look back in the forum, there was a thread about several people with JL amps that are having problems with radio reception. Aparently, JL amps are causing interference with the antenna amplifier close to the rear window. Is it possible to temporarily relocate the amp and see if things improve?

·
Registered
303 Posts
it is installed under the rear deck, unfortunately its a custom set up and the amp has to be installed there unless I redo the entire set up which i guess could be an option but the subs are in a fiberglass enclosure in the wheelwell, that doesn't leave much option for another location. I have also noticed other members using jl amps that have been mounted right under the rear deck as well and they are not experiencing problems using the stock headunit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ca1242 said:
Where is the JL amp installed? Is it close to the antenna amplifier (left rear C pillar)? If you look back in the forum, there was a thread about several people with JL amps that are having problems with radio reception. Aparently, JL amps are causing interference with the antenna amplifier close to the rear window. Is it possible to temporarily relocate the amp and see if things improve?

eerrrr... maybe this is my problem as well. i have (3) JL Audio amps packed in my trunk putting out 1,100watts. :dunno:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was having a similar problem with my aftermarket setup. I then had some other issues with my Eclipse 8443 HU and ended up swapping out for an Alpine 9835. My FM reception improved a great deal. I guess the Alpine has a better tuner than the Eclipse.

BTW, I have a JL 450/4 and a 500/1 mounted under my rear deck.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.