BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm debating between a UUC lightweight flywheel or a 3.38/3.46 differential.
Both are roughly the same price. What goes better with the new UUC EVO3 SSK I just ordered? :dunno:

BTW, I got a 5 speed 325ci

·
Banned
8,818 Posts
03 Dinan 3 said:
Hey guys,
I'm debating between a UUC lightweight flywheel or a 3.38/3.46 differential.
Both are roughly the same price. What goes better with the new UUC EVO3 SSK I just ordered? :dunno:

BTW, I got a 5 speed 325ci
From what ive read the diff swap will make a bigger difference. Whats the 325ci stock ratio?

·
Registered
150 Posts
You should be able to do a diff for less than the flywheel when its all said and done. I would go with the diff. UUC has a setup which should reduce it , but the flywheels will have a tendency to chatter.

All around I think you'll gain more from the diff.

·
Registered
616 Posts
do the differntial. I am going from 3.07 to 3.46 on tuesday. I got a 3.46 diff from www.midwayauto.com for $350 shipped to my door. It was from a 03' 325i automatic with 10k miles. Its hardly been used and it came from a car with a torque converter so its not beat on. Install cost from my mechanic at BMW who is moonlighting this job for me said it would be about $150-200 for labor. The lightweight flywheel is a nice touch but it really isnt going to make your car that much faster. Also when doing the lightweight flywheel you should consider upgrading your clutch while your in there so that you can handle more power down the road. I would consider some pulleys before the flywheel.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Deff go with the differential. Has a 3.46 put in about 2 months ago and i love it. Which one to get tho is preference.. you'll get slightly less pull witb the 3.38 but if you do highway driving every day (like to commute to work or what not) get the 3.38. If you dont (like me, my school and office are both local) then go for the 3.46.

·
Registered
834 Posts
03 Dinan 3 said:
thanks for all the responses guys.

But should I go for the 3.38 or go full out and get the 3.46?

Thanks

I'd say go 3.46. The way I look at it: Yeah, you lose top speed, but how many times do you REALLY need to be going 140mph? Not that that's the top speed of a stock BMW, but still way up there. Doubt you could hit that witha 3.46. Who knows. :dunno:

·
Registered
519 Posts
trippinbillies4 said:
I'd say go 3.46. The way I look at it: Yeah, you lose top speed, but how many times do you REALLY need to be going 140mph? Not that that's the top speed of a stock BMW, but still way up there. Doubt you could hit that witha 3.46. Who knows. :dunno:
Well hitting the top speed isnt really the issue.... the reason I say consider the 3.38 if you do a lot of highway driving is im hitting 4000 rpm doin 80 in 5th (and Im sharked which supposedly gives you some of the RPMs back)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
jgrecbets said:
Well hitting the top speed isnt really the issue.... the reason I say consider the 3.38 if you do a lot of highway driving is im hitting 4000 rpm doin 80 in 5th (and Im sharked which supposedly gives you some of the RPMs back)
that is insane.. 80 in 5th? Will it make a difference if I have a 330 as far as mph go.. I'm probably 65-70mph at 4000rpm in 3rd :yikes: Don't know if I'd want to lose all that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
03 Dinan 3 said:
I've got the Dinan software so I've got some extra revs too..
I also have the dinan As far as top speed I've have done 140mph with the diff 3.46
No problems. 3800Rpm 80MPH.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
3.46. sure, i'm only geared for 134mph anymore, but who cares :D

and i do a LOT of highway driving. the RPMs are high, but not too high. and you will have a 5th gear usable for passing then!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts