BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

My e46 325ci is having one weird issue at the moment! This all started happening about 2 months ago where I would come back from the city (I live in a rural town) and about 3/4 of the 50 - 60 minute trip the car started dropping revs and then increasing them shaking the car, I pulled over and the car eventually stalled.

This issue has now happened again this past week, the last three times I have driven the car back from the city the issue happens. The weird thing is it dosent happen driving there, its the Adelaide hills and driving there im going up hill, coming home it is all downhill.

Bit more information on the issue the car will in cruise control (which I use on the way up too with no issues) and will then suddenly lose power and start fluctuating revs between 2k and 3k. Once pulled over the car will have a hissy fit and continue for a couple more seconds until it stalls. The car will not be able to be started (does crank over) unless I wait 30 or so minutes and it fires up again straight away. WEIRD right?

I have taken this to the local auto place and also taken it into Adelaide to BM Connections where they are researching the issue. (BM Connections has great service strongly recommend cheers Rob!) These guys are all stumped and things such as fuel pump and cam shaft sensor are popping up as the suspects! :hmm: :hmm:

Another issue with it would be that the car isnt pulling codes even when its doing the issue. I ran my hand held OBDII scanner and got nothing no codes at all (Im guessing need one of the proper scanners to really see).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Cheers. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to sure! The guys at the auto places have both said it probably isnt the fuel pump or filter but I have a feeling it is.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Any lights on the dash show up when this happens? Do you have your own OBDII scan tool? Fuel pumps have a tendency to fail on these cars.

Did the car have less than 1/4 tank of gas when these problems happened? What happens is the fuel pump soft fails and can cause all sorts of issues and strand you. Even if it isn't the issue it's a good idea to swap it out for peace of mind. Forum member JFOJ has lots of good threads on this. Use the search function and read up on it before making your next move so you can make a better informed decision.

Here is a good thread of his on fuel pumps: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501 .

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lights on the dash at all! I have scanned with my hand held device but no codes came up!

It did indeed have just under 1/4 of petrol, why's that? I'll look into the fuel pump and filter see if they were replaced by the previous owner. Thank you

·
Registered
908 Posts
No lights on the dash at all! I have scanned with my hand held device but no codes came up!

It did indeed have just under 1/4 of petrol, why's that? I'll look into the fuel pump and filter see if they were replaced by the previous owner. Thank you
When the fuel pump soft fails it fails to pull fuel from the drivers side lobe of the kidney shaped fuel tank. (The pump on that side is a passive siphon style pump that rarely fails.) You can test this by just filling the car up past ~ 1/4 tank and seeing if it happens again. If it does, order an OEM fuel pump and gasket and keep your fuel level over 1/4 in the mean time. Not sure whats the best place to get a Siemens VDO pump down under but here in the states BMA sells one for $130.

Good Luck!

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,818 Posts
If you had a proper wireless OBDII interface cable and smartphone/tablet app you could read (and log) the important engine parameters when the problem happens. This ought to give you good clues as to what is going wrong. Buy this tool and use it whenever you have engine issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When the fuel pump soft fails it fails to pull fuel from the drivers side lobe of the kidney shaped fuel tank. (The pump on that side is a passive siphon style pump that rarely fails.) You can test this by just filling the car up past ~ 1/4 tank and seeing if it happens again. If it does, order an OEM fuel pump and gasket and keep your fuel level over 1/4 in the mean time. Not sure whats the best place to get a Siemens VDO pump down under but here in the states BMA sells one for $130.

Good Luck!
The problem is that the car will take probably 30 to 40 minutes and then it will start up like nothing happened! Is this something that is still common with the pump not getting part of the tank or??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts