BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I did a search and unless I'm a complete moron (which, admittedly, is not beyond the realm of possibility) I did not find a thread on this so without further ado....

Is there an advantage to getting a bottle jack over a floor jack or vice versa? The only disadvantage I see with a bottle jack is that it requires the car to be higher to start with; but that can be taken care of by driving onto some 2 x 4's or the like.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You generally need much more clearance with a bottle jack. They have a higher lift capacity but all the ones i've used lift more slowly. For our cars, a floor jack would probably be the best choice.

·
Registered
26,548 Posts
floor jack is way more convenient... the car can be fairly low and raised fairly high with a floor jack. a bottle jack has a very limited range and the car has to be significantly raised already to even get it under there.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Time(convenient).

A good floor jack takes fewer pump to jack up a car. (OT, ever seen NASCAR pit stops? They only pump twice to rise the car)

I prefer the 3 or 2 1/2 ton floor jacks, paying for convenient.

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,882 Posts
Our favorite:

OTC 2 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack

Lifts 2 tons and weighs only 43 lbs!
Dual pump pistons - just five pumps gets you to maximum height of over 18 inches.
Meets ANSI PALD, Part 10, for safety and quality.
Low profile - 3-1/2 inches - makes it perfect for ground hugging, high performance cars.
Weighs just 43 pounds and includes side-mounted handles for quick and easy carrying.
Aircraft-grade billet aluminum provides strength with maximum weight savings.
Two-piece, 45" long handle snaps together for quick set up.
Removable, rubber saddle pad protects vehicle and prevents slipping.
Backed by OTC's Lifetime Marathon Warranty.®

$220.00

[email protected] if you have any questions.

Ken

·
Registered
1,746 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not even sure why this requires a thread...I can't think of one advantage of a bottle jack over a floor jack. Bottle jacks are dangerous.

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Is NOT A Mechanic
5,882 Posts
FYI - we kind of had the rug pulled out from under us. Our supplier raised the pricing dramatically, and our retail on the OTC jack went up significantly. The price shown above is no more. Congrats to those who got in when it was that cheap...

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ken

·
Registered
609 Posts
I got a $50 Harbor Freight jack...it kind of sucks. I'm probably going to have to do a little modification to it to get it to be useful--the teeth don't engage all the time, sometimes it gets a bit stuck and releases faster than you'd like...if you're going to be using it a lot, it might be a good idea to spend more than $50.

·
Registered
755 Posts
That's a neat idea. Still too tall to get under my car. The base of the jack stand doesnt' look wide even to be stable.

·
Banned
9,405 Posts
Our favorite:

OTC 2 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack

Lifts 2 tons and weighs only 43 lbs!
Dual pump pistons - just five pumps gets you to maximum height of over 18 inches.
Meets ANSI PALD, Part 10, for safety and quality.
Low profile - 3-1/2 inches - makes it perfect for ground hugging, high performance cars.
Weighs just 43 pounds and includes side-mounted handles for quick and easy carrying.
Aircraft-grade billet aluminum provides strength with maximum weight savings.
Two-piece, 45" long handle snaps together for quick set up.
Removable, rubber saddle pad protects vehicle and prevents slipping.
Backed by OTC's Lifetime Marathon Warranty.®

$220.00

[email protected] if you have any questions.

Ken

I've got a rebranded version of that jack and my only complaint is that it was too low to lift the motor when the car was on jack stands. Besides that its a good lightweight jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts