BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
is now a 2L! woot!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on the 57 today and all of a sudden i hear this beep and i look where my gauges are and my red lamp indicator thing is on. I tried turning it off but i guess i cant. I looked in the manual and it said that this means there was a loss of pressure in the tires or something.

I asked my dad about it and he told me the took it in to 76 gas station and put air in the tires. SO when i checked the pressure today , it was like 43 psi. which is okay since my tires cant go over 51 psi.

So i was wondering, how do i turn off the red light indicator tihng ?? do i have to go to bmw to get it turned off or what?

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
43 psi????????? :yikes: i think thats a bit too much ?? :eeps:

·
is now a 2L! woot!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ac325ci said:
43 psi????????? :yikes: i think thats a bit too much ?? :eeps:
i have 19 incherz. and on my tire it sed 51 psi..but im sure ur not supposed to go over like 45 psi

·
Registered
157 Posts
a good pressure for 19" tires on the M3 is 35 psi all around.

1. Correct the pressure on all your tires. (whatever you want, you don't have to use 35 psi all around like me).

2. To reset your flat tire icon, put the key to position 2 (car off, accessories on). Press and hold the flat tire monitor button (on your console, next to the heated seats button). The light in the dash will blink a few times then go off. This clears the error.

3. When it goes off, turn your car on and press and hold the flat tire monitor button again till it blinks and stops blinking. This resets the meter to have the safe pressure where you have it currently.

Any changes in tire pressure from the point where you set the safe pressure will light the icon in your dash. Minor changes are yellow. red is a big change in pressure (either up or down)

Hope that helps.

·
mi casa @ technik
6,438 Posts
hayaku said:
a good pressure for 19" tires on the M3 is 35 psi all around.

1. Correct the pressure on all your tires. (whatever you want, you don't have to use 35 psi all around like me).

2. To reset your flat tire icon, put the key to position 2 (car off, accessories on). Press and hold the flat tire monitor button (on your console, next to the heated seats button). The light in the dash will blink a few times then go off. This clears the error.

3. When it goes off, turn your car on and press and hold the flat tire monitor button again till it blinks and stops blinking. This resets the meter to have the safe pressure where you have it currently.

Any changes in tire pressure from the point where you set the safe pressure will light the icon in your dash. Minor changes are yellow. red is a big change in pressure (either up or down)

Hope that helps.
hey Hayaku
good to see you around here:thumbup:
you were very helpful over at dtmpower:D

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
sExY cLk m3 gRL said:

i have 19 incherz. and on my tire it sed 51 psi..but im sure ur not supposed to go over like 45 psi
43psi is too much.. go with 35psi.. i have 18"s and i;m at 34psi..

·
Registered
287 Posts
i'm not sure how much 1 psi is, but every tires should just be 3 kg or 3.5kg in all size of tires. exced that amount it would worn out uneven. i asum that 35 psi is the accurate amount, 50 psi or 45 psi and over , its just matter of time a sharp bump pop the tires.

those that have heavy stuff on the back of the trunk 38-40 psi is normal (2 sub, 2 amp, etc..)

correct me if im wrong.:thumbup:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The psi number on your tires are the "MAX" numbers. You should be running somewhere in the high 30's.

·
Registered
157 Posts
xS3x said:

hey Hayaku
good to see you around here:thumbup:
you were very helpful over at dtmpower:D
HAHA.. hey xS3x! I am everywhere and nowhere at the same time! (quote from Muadib from Dune).

We missed ya on that Malibu canyon run a month of so ago. I saw you listed and cancelled out. Maybe next time?

For everyone else, 35 psi is a good pressure for street driving. For autocross/track, start at 39 psi and go from there. Just a general rule.. use whatever you want tho. Some want better performance and some want better gas mileage. Find out what works best for you... 35 psi works great for me one all my cars/trucks...

Tip: Only use one pressure gauge on your car... they all vary by a little bit, so stick to only one gauge.

·
mi casa @ technik
6,438 Posts
hayaku said:

HAHA.. hey xS3x! I am everywhere and nowhere at the same time! (quote from Muadib from Dune).

We missed ya on that Malibu canyon run a month of so ago. I saw you listed and cancelled out. Maybe next time?

For everyone else, 35 psi is a good pressure for street driving. For autocross/track, start at 39 psi and go from there. Just a general rule.. use whatever you want tho. Some want better performance and some want better gas mileage. Find out what works best for you... 35 psi works great for me one all my cars/trucks...

Tip: Only use one pressure gauge on your car... they all vary by a little bit, so stick to only one gauge.
yeah..i found out malibu was too far for me:sad:

however..my friends and i always run a lower psi on track because the tires would get warmer, therefore running on a high psi.. I ran around 33psi at button willow a while back..and it worked great:thumbup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
my dad filled the tires till 43 psi all around cuz he thought it was supposed to be 51-8 psi...if u guys look at the general forum..my car fuced up on me.- sexyclkm3grl..

sorry u guys i forgot vince logged onto his name..

·
Registered
847 Posts
Are you sure??...I got a 330 n the manual says 28 psi for front and 32 psi for back(spomething like that... I dont remember)
I put 30psi all round minimum

hayaku said:

·
mi casa @ technik
6,438 Posts
tricxe46 said:
Are you sure??...I got a 330 n the manual says 28 psi for front and 32 psi for back(spomething like that... I dont remember)
I put 30psi all round minimum

sometimes people put higher psi in their tires to protect their rims and they are willing to compensate for a harsher ride:thumbup:

·
Registered
667 Posts
yeah, I put at least 30psi, usually 32-35... 43psi is crazy high! sExY cLk m3 gRL, lower that pressure... do you have steel/metal valve caps?

·
is now a 2L! woot!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HaN-hAn said:
yeah, I put at least 30psi, usually 32-35... 43psi is crazy high! sExY cLk m3 gRL, lower that pressure... do you have steel/metal valve caps?

hm im not sure. maybe irvine bmw will correct my tire pressure since my m is there rite now due to launch control fukking up on me.

·
is now a 2L! woot!
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really how come xs3x?

·
mi casa @ technik
6,438 Posts
sExY cLk m3 gRL said:
really how come xs3x?
because, cars at dealership usually just come and go, they don't spend any extra time checking if everything else is right, unless you take it there for service..

just DIY at a gas station..
make vince do it or something..its not hard:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts