BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

First of all... It's great to be here and be able to become part of this community. I spent last week reading up on all kinds of posts. Tons of great information here.

Here is my problem/question.... Just bought a "new for me" 2003 M3 with Navi which came with the "H/K Upgrade Sound".

I am not happy with the sound, in my opinion it sounds dull, treble is being drowned by mids and an undefined bass. I am thinking this does not come as a surprise to many of you...

In your opinion, what would be the best avenue/equipment to install to get clear and "bright" (high treble + bass) sound for under $1,500 installed?

Thank you in advance.

- Alex

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
well...

new speakers + amp
1 - 2 subs depending on your preference + amp
headunit?...up to you incase you want to use the stock one, which a lot of members have done....

and equipment....well you have to go hear it for yourself because eveyone has different tastes....some people actually love the H/K system so....

for subs....you can go with JL Audio....they have good stuff
for speakers.....well there are tons of companies...just have to go listen to them...

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. The sound is pretty good (especially for factory sound) but the midrange is a little heavy.

First thing I did was added a sub. Really punched up the bottom end and went well with the h/k sound.

Next I installed a 12 ohm resistor on each tweeter - toned down the tweet and improved the sound stage.

My next move is to try adding an EQ to the factory front end. An AudioControl line driver, Alpine Parametric EQ then another AudioControl processor in that order are going between the front head unit outputs and the factory amp. This should balance out the midrange.

If that doesn't work, it will be new amps and speakers. Remember if you replace the factory amp, you may loose the DSP function (can someone confirm this?).

Mark

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Canuck, Rana,

Thank you both for your replies. I will start digging into costing these options you presented.

Can you actually replace the front-end unit in a Navi equipped car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can replace the headunit if you loose the navi and the screen and replace it with an ugly plastic bracket holding an ugly DIN unit (the stock after market radio head units)...

(didn't sound too negative about the idea did I :hmm: )

/bfg

"I'm not driving too fast ... I'm flying too low!"

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
bfg said:
You can replace the headunit if you loose the navi and the screen and replace it with an ugly plastic bracket holding an ugly DIN unit (the stock after market radio head units)...
Hee hee!

I tend to agree with this. Especially if you have nav, staying with the stock HU would make more sense.

Bottom line is if you replace all the amps and speakers you can still do the HU later, right? :thumbup:

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts