BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought an entire black interior from a wrecker, they destroyed most of the clips, including the ones that hold the carpet panel in the tailgate.

If you are interested in printing your own, I have published the files at:

I used sketch up and a 3D printer to make repair tabs:

Cut away the broken bit:

and installed:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice. I broke 1 of the clips before I figured out how it worked. Luckily I had the pieces still and was able to repair them with some super glue, ABS scraps and MEK. Work better than new now. Now that I know how they work I will not run into this again, but your solution is perfect to reclaim an old broken panel. Good work.

3D printing as so much easier now and they even have free access to one at my local library (when it opens back up). I used it to create my rear wiper delete cap.

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
637 Posts
Nice work on the new clips, I'm swapping my interior to black as well and pretty sure all of those tabs on my carpet panel are broken. Any plans to make more? I'd be interested in a couple and I'm sure there are others. The clips on my stock gray panel are also broken so I don't think I've ever even seen how the clips are supposed to look until your photos.

Can you or malapane describe the proper procedure for removing the panel so that the clips don't break? TIS doesn't have much detail:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very easy once you see them out. Use a flat screwdriver to push the outside of the clip (side against the plastic main trunk lid trim panel) and push / flex it inward toward the carpeted trim panel. There is a ridge on the outside that clips into the outer trim panel so when you flex it inward it clears the outer panel as you pull the carpeted trim panel away from the main plastic trim panel. The three lower clips (ones Archbid recreated above) release first and then the panel swings away at the bottom and can be unhooked from the fixed tabs along the top.

Very easy, but when the panel is attached you cannot see the method, so these get damaged often when not disengaged properly.

Makes sense this is considered, as you need to access reverse light bulbs through here.

Although I thought mine were broken before I removed this panel the first time, they were not. Just loose (over flexed). Once I reinforced them the flex was reduced and the panel fits with less slop.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. I broke 1 of the clips before I figured out how it worked. Luckily I had the pieces still and was able to repair them with some super glue, ABS scraps and MEK. Work better than new now. Now that I know how they work I will not run into this again, but your solution is perfect to reclaim an old broken panel. Good work.

3D printing as so much easier now and they even have free access to one at my local library (when it opens back up). I used it to create my rear wiper delete cap. View attachment 906660 View attachment 906661
How did you get such a smooth finish?

·
Registered
442 Posts
How did you get such a smooth finish?
Yeah, I am pretty proud of that. That specific piece was made on a higher quality 3D printer. My prototypes were made on something mid grade. I tried a few until I got the height, OD, taper and radius I was happy with. Then I printed the final copy on a formlabs Form 2 printer using Grey Pro resin. In this case I just sanded like you would for bodywork. Coarse until I got the layers smoothed out, then a little bit of spot filler for a few tiny voids, then progressively finer sanding until it was ready for paint. The paint was some version of SEM Trim Black - Satin I think.

On printed models that don't sand very well, or have voids, you can use bondo or spot filler(if small enough) and do the same. Prepping 3d models for aesthetic samples is very much like body work on a car. I used the better printer because I had access to it and it saves labor, but you could get the same finish (possibly not such a good final shape/geometry) with a lower quality print - just takes more finishing work.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice work on the new clips, I'm swapping my interior to black as well and pretty sure all of those tabs on my carpet panel are broken. Any plans to make more? I'd be interested in a couple and I'm sure there are others.
You were a lifesaver to me on my trim tabs, so anything you need is yours. I can print you a pair if you message me your mailing address.

I also added a link to a Thingiverse page that has the STL and GCODE files for anyone who just wants to print them at home. They are not pretty, but they hold like a mf.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Can you or malapane describe the proper procedure for removing the panel so that the clips don't break? TIS doesn't have much detail:

View attachment 906662
As I said in my headliner thread (I still need to shoot some pics - I took some but they weren't very good), while some people like to bash ECS, one of the greatest things they do is put up pics (often multiple) of most parts. That is invaluable when it comes time to see how things come apart. I used their photos extensively when pulling the hatch area on my car apart, even while using the TIS.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for sharing the file, I need to print these up as my left clip is broken. Does pla hold up or would you recommend using abs?

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used pla. Print it on its side so that the laminations go the length of the clip, not across the lines of force

·
Registered
2000 323iT - Orientblau Metallic
244 Posts

3D printing as so much easier now and they even have free access to one at my local library (when it opens back up). I used it to create my rear wiper delete cap. View attachment 906660 View attachment 906661

Goodness; I'd love to find a cap like this. I removed my rear wiper as-well. Just needs a cap.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Goodness; I'd love to find a cap like this. I removed my rear wiper as-well. Just needs a cap.
Unfortunately, it's not just a cap. You need to machine a custom spacer washer to replace the wiper arm and fit the cap to. I don't have any of those...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts