BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My problem starting again, resoldering fix only for few months.

Does anyone knows this part's circuit device and components? i can make my own easliy. (i know they sell 40$ but they dont ship internationally or extra 80$ fee :( )

·
Registered
1 Posts
FIXED!!! Thank you! Yesterday, I only reinforced the solder joints but it didn't work. I was ready to buy a replacement but decided to give this fix another try. I figured there's nothing to lose since I was ready to trash it anyway. This time, I removed the old solder from the large terminals, applied fresh solder, and then reinforced the smaller joints. I also used a box cutter knife to cut between the joints to make sure that they're not shorting. Voila... IT WORKED! Gotta love this community.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
FIXED!!! Thank you! Yesterday, I only reinforced the solder joints but it didn't work. I was ready to buy a replacement but decided to give this fix another try. I figured there's nothing to lose since I was ready to trash it anyway. This time, I removed the old solder from the large terminals, applied fresh solder, and then reinforced the smaller joints. I also used a box cutter knife to cut between the joints to make sure that they're not shorting. Voila... IT WORKED! Gotta love this community.
Thanks to this thread, I was able to diagnose and repair my LHS Rear blinker not working issue.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Dnt mean to revive this but my parking lights will not stay on... These lights are brand new. Could it be the resistors? I dnt wanna hack into a new resistor box and then cant send it back. And this is for both side. Im not sure if khoaltys resistors would fix my issue. Everything else works. Brakes and turn signals. But the parking lights wont turn/stay on.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My eagle eyes just failed after 3-4 years, the black box, so I heated it up from the bottom with a heat gun without breaking the case, and did this for only a minute with a hot heat gun about 2 inches away from the bottom, and it fixed the leds, they work now, but these would work sometimes and sometimes not, so might not be a perfect fix. Will see.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My eagle eyes just failed after 3-4 years, the black box, so I heated it up from the bottom with a heat gun without breaking the case, and did this for only a minute with a hot heat gun about 2 inches away from the bottom, and it fixed the leds, they work now, but these would work sometimes and sometimes not, so might not be a perfect fix. Will see.
The solder joints won't be fixed by just doing that.

Either desolder and reapply solder or
Reheat the existing solder.

I prefer the first and to use new solder. It's held up since I created this thread for the most part.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Got mine off ebay. It had the dome light cover in the back peice. Was not a depo type. looks same as eagle eyes. Imotorsportoutlet is there name on ebay. Wai Hung Tang, SPEAR PERFORMANCE PARTS CORP. This is what they gave me in the email.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice one.. cheers.. I managed to fix mine by cutting the back off and resoldering the contacts.. it works but I would prefer to source a replacement.. I'll email the seller.. thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Problem is khoalty's resistors are $40, I paid $10 shiped for mine from the ebay company I bought mine from, which is a great price, but not sure if that because I bought mine from them. Might be a warranty thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As always, this forum is a lifesaver. Today I cracked open my resistor box and resoldered all the connections on the board, now my tail light is working properly again!

Opening the box was not that hard, I used a wood chisel and a hammer to cut 3 sides on the top and pulled the lid, heated the contact points using my solder pencil, closed the lid and put a tie wrap around it to keep it closed.

In case it fails again now is easy to open and fix.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Bumping an old thread here..
It seems this failing capacitor box is the reason for dim / intermittent / non-functioning brake and turn signal lights.

I had one brake light that didn't work at all, and my approach was different.
I jumped the Black ground from the brake light circuit board, to the Black ground from the main eagle eye harness (the one that connects to the car's original harness).

The brake light worked immediately, and HOLY CRAP they are BRIGHT like I remember them new.
By comparison my (working) opposite side brake light looked like it had about 50% brightness compared to the newly fixed one.

I modded the opposite side as well, in the same fashion (jumping the ground to bypass the box), and it's back to 100% bright.
Any negative effects from jumping the ground?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
my drivers side is flickering, anyone have any updates on this jumping ground with a pic perhaps?

61 - 78 of 78 Posts