E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is fix-a-flat dependable enough to rely on as your spare? Say, if towing, AAA, etc. was out of the question (location, time)

I want to ditch my spare and change my sub set-up in the trunk....

Any personal experience, I am just worried caus of my rims?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would get the M mobility system, you can get rid of your spare, i dont have a spare, instead I have the M mobility fix it pump in my trunk. No matter what if you get a flat, then fix it with a plug the fix a flat is a crock.

Also, run your tires on low air pressure like 35 below then worry about getting your low profile wheels damaged. I put about 46lbs of pressure on my 19 inch wheels, also reduction of 1 lb for every 10 degrees up...and with fix a flat....i see leakages...and air loss...from high pressure to LOW pressure...and damages to yoru wheels in NYC streets.

for a short drive..its ok..but for long trips..take the spare...or fix it ...man

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah but the M Mobility system is basically the same thing....just contains a micro-compressor to pump the sealant. I agree, it might be a better quality tho--

I will probably ditch the spare. Maybe I will invest in a temp. plug kit too to last me until I can get it patched right from the inside.

thanks-

·
Registered
372 Posts
plug kit

the mobility system is better than fix a flat..but you have no choice....except the spare..its only to drive to the nearest gas station...

BTW, I wonder how you are going to find that puncture, (if not visible) without submerging the whole tire in deep water....do you have such a container?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
since you have asked.... i will p*ss on it. Hah.

No really, i know what you are saying, but a lot of times it will be a punction from a nail or screw which will stay in the tire. In which case, I could temp. plug from the outside just to get home. But even with a simple plug kit, I would need the FaF or the M Mobility to fill the tire.

Also, tire sealants have the tendency to squeeze out of the puncture.....so that could help if I used both methods.

I really just want to get rid of the spare!

Thanks for the input... where u at in NY?

·
Registered
372 Posts
piss on piss off

hahaha...thats one good tech..ahaha...yeah..usually its a screw or a nail..i hear ya...

I come around the bayside area..to see my GF....at my age i should be married...though...working on it...

but go to NYC once in a while..but i live upstate...ny...

better roads..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are PGII's. I maintain them by just avoiding potholes. (I don't know if that's what you meant.) I am looking for some new wheels though.....

here is an early pic b4 most of my mods-- all I have at work

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
CLASSIC LOOK, Nice color, and the hamanns are excellent cast alloy wheels, very nice, the hamanns are quire pricey, i wanted to do Hamanns as well, but i really wanted all polished 5 spoke so I purchased intro forged...

but the problem with mine, although forged, if the back wheel gets damaged, im seriously in big trouble. I have to wait 3 weeks for a new wheel, or put on my old 18 inch OEM wheels....geez..

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you use fix-a-flat make sure you let the person that fixes/patches the tire know. I believe there have been some injuries caused by that stuff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys

Its called BMW roadside assistance! Free! They will tow your car to your house where you can put on the spare! My friend has done it twice

1 - 12 of 12 Posts