E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have been researching all day about how to install an oil catch can in my e46 touring 2L 318i n42. However, all I can find is reference to the 6 cylinder engines.
has anybody actually fitted a catch can in the 2L n42?
If so, have you got any photos or guidance on whether it’s worth doing and how to go about it.
Anyone else with some expertise on this would also be very welcome.
There seems to be so many different ways of doing this and where to connect the catch can and bypasses etc.
Its just giving me a headache now lol.
What size hoses do I need?
Can I install a pcv valve from any car as I’m using new hoses, or does it need to be a specific type etc?
I look forwards to hearing from you all.
thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The hoses have to be able to stand both the underhood heat and the vacuum. The vacuum at the intake manifold is about 25” of water. That’s a lot of vacuum. So installing heater hoses and the like won’t work for long.

Hose size is going to depend on 2 factors. The first is the size/diameter of the factory crankcase ventilation system hoses’ connectors. You’ll want to reuse them by gently removing the factory hoses from the connectors. The second factor is the size of the fittings on the catch can. You can use just about any pcv as it’s absolutely necessary to reduce the engine vacuum. Otherwise you’ll end up with vacuum leaks everywhere.

I installed a catch can in my old 2001 330Ci. I used ribbed hoses initially. After a few months the high vacuum hose collapsed. I replaced all of the hoses with hoses that could take the high vacuum. Do it right the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.