BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
M T3ch
447 Posts
I would say it takes close to a full day on top of the normal
time it takes to install a normal hood. On my car I did not want the fenders repainted; the fit is 95% good. If you are willing to
do some body work then add more time, but the fit would be perfect.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
But what exactly is the bodywork needed to get the hood to fit? (ie side/front gaps) Does a bodyshop just mold some extra sides to the hood and repaint to make it close the gaps?

Thanks...

·
M T3ch
447 Posts
NickACS said:
But what exactly is the bodywork needed to get the hood to fit? (ie side/front gaps) Does a bodyshop just mold some extra sides to the hood and repaint to make it close the gaps?

Thanks...
The two problem you will find if you install hood w/o adjustment is

1- The gap from front to A pillar is uneven; It may even touch the fender close to windshield.

2- From a side view, the curve of the hood is not the same as fenders. (fenders are more flat)

To fix those problems w/o major fender work they have to change slightly the curve of hood, also play with fenders to even the gap. The gap on my car is even from front to back; the trade off is the fender beeing slightly outward compared to door.

·
Still around...
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheFallen said:
wait wait.. let me get this straight.. someone just asked if an OEM M3 hood would fit an M3 ?

no comment..
My post was to ask how people with non-M3's were fitting OEM M3 hoods, and what was involved.. I think that other guy just read the post to quickly.... or something. :eeps:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
haha.. well, Daniel Choe has a very well fitted m3 hood on his coupe... perhaps he can put up a new thread to explain to us what's going on and what it takes and what it took for everything to fit.

·
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT
765 Posts
I thought there was a tread prior that someone said that an OEM M3 hood fit our cars with no modifications!??

·
Europrojektz NW
989 Posts
With $$$ anything can be possible...I am going to get a M3 hood soon and try it out for myself...

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
thats a really cool mod for non M's but its seems difficult and scary..... maybe danny can explain what should be done to make it perfect.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts