E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have a e46 2003 saloon and i want to buy a second hand sat nav from a scrap yard and fit into my own. I never done this before and would like to know what additional things i need besides the navigator when installing. At present i have a 6 cd changer in the back of the car.

How are the maps updated? Are there things i should be aware of when buying the navigator?.

And just as an example, i am looking for something similar to this ; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3..._Technology&hash=item416466a103#ht_525wt_1363

I have a budget of £150-£200 i dont think i can buy much but are there any other alternatives i could get second hand?.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
677 Posts
You can retrofit something from another company it wont look quite as good though. I just mounted my Motorolla xoom into my car it don't look OEM but it looks pretty slick for a mount I made in my living room for 2 bucks.

·
Banned
7,267 Posts
I'll paste what I said on another forum

ac_2007 said:
- OEM navi is terrible and outdated.
- Dynavin is close to $1000, its great but its expensive and harder to get (Ebay, online retailers, etc.)

Your best bet is to get a Garmin windshield mountable GPS. It is cheap (check tigerdirect.ca), very easy to use, looks good, and you can update it once it gets old. Anything built-in will have a bad viewing angle. I had the opportunity to get a Dynavin as a gift, but I couldn't bear to see the other person spending so much on it. IMO it's just not worth it..

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I hear you on that, but with my phone in the center of my instrument cluster, it almost looks like it's meant to be there. It doesn't obstruct anything but the OBC and it's right there to be seen at a glance with my dials. I love it that way. Though I do miss the setup I had in my E36 where I had my phone running my music and navigation from the center console. IMO, Function before form. (And yet I'm a gymnastics coach):rofl:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have a look at this thread. It is basically a Dynavin Clone. Not quite as polished as Dynavin but I installed and am very happy with it. http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896677&page=73 looks OEM and does everything I need it to do for about half the price....

Bluetooth for handsfree phone, bluettoth for music streaming, NAV works well, plus USB I put, AUX input, SD input, DVD and TV for certain areas (not Canada) back up cam etc...

Lights up orange to match BMW dash. And you Retain function of steering wheel controls.

The one thing is a few people had problems and complained about lack of support...
I installed two and everything is good. Straight plug and play install took under 30 mins...

Now with Dynavin you get ALOT more support if you have a problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can retrofit something from another company it wont look quite as good though. I just mounted my Motorolla xoom into my car it don't look OEM but it looks pretty slick for a mount I made in my living room for 2 bucks.
Pics please.

Have a look at this thread. It is basically a Dynavin Clone. Not quite as polished as Dynavin but I installed and am very happy with it. http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=896677&page=73 looks OEM and does everything I need it to do for about half the price....

Bluetooth for handsfree phone, bluettoth for music streaming, NAV works well, plus USB I put, AUX input, SD input, DVD and TV for certain areas (not Canada) back up cam etc...

Lights up orange to match BMW dash. And you Retain function of steering wheel controls.

The one thing is a few people had problems and complained about lack of support...
I installed two and everything is good. Straight plug and play install took under 30 mins...

Now with Dynavin you get ALOT more support if you have a problem.
Agree with this. For WHAT YOU WANT go with the Dynavin clone (non Android Version). Slightly more than what you want to pay but hundreds less than the Dynavin. I know many people that are not content with a TOM TOM and would rather have the in-dash navi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.