BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have an 04 325i, my father generously gave it to me after owning it for a few years from someone who had his fitment setup. Previous owner did a lot of work to it, and since i got it, my father and i have also done a ton of work on it. It came with Beyern Mesh wheels. The tire wear was actually pretty bad and since its my daily driver i wanted to fix this. i got it aligned, and the tire wear was still there, so its not tow wear. I changed the suspension he had and raised it up to "sport" height because the tire wear was pretty bad and the tire wear is now minimal. The fenders were even rolled on the inside to fit the wheel and tire. I have come to the conclusion that the wear is mainly due to the offset of the rims slightly outward, requiring it to be cambered a lot to fit. I really want to have my car a little lower because i really like the look of it and i put a lot of work, much like the previous owner, into making this car look really nice and i think that the slightly lower than factory ride height inst quite enough and i think if it was a little lower it would make a huge difference. Is the only way for me to lower my car and further without significant tire wear by getting new rims that aren't offset to be flush?

·
Registered
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
2,354 Posts
If they're so close that camber is required to keep them from rubbing then yeah, you'll have to get wheels that are either narrower or have more offset so as to get the clearance that way and allow stock camber specs.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,531 Posts
Please try to locate your alignment printout. I keep all my customers alignments (in Pdf. form on my system) for future reference if ever needed to call upon for diagnosis of any future issue, and post it here. Perhaps the shop still has it stored electronically?

There's alignments and then there's the RIGHT way to do it. I've posted numerous times on the differences between the two. Most of the time any ol' alignment will be satisfactory (not in my book however) for a time. However when going after an issue such as a pull or strange wear this is where doing it the right way (weighting the car down and setting the weight and measuring the ride height against specs in TIS) combined with a printout will greatly aid me in trying to help.

Not to be harsh, but anything else is just a guess....

·
Registered
642 Posts
i had it aligned a long time ago, but i know it was aligned to BMW spec
Is it a excessive camber? Even a good longitudinal pic of the front and rear with some landmarks would be helpful maybe not on caster and toe in but likely on camber. Sticking to camber, there are videos on how to measure that yourself easily if you have a metric ruler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it a excessive camber? Even a good longitudinal pic of the front and rear with some landmarks would be helpful maybe not on caster and toe in but likely on camber. Sticking to camber, there are videos on how to measure that yourself easily if you have a metric ruler.
i think camber is the main cause of the wear, after being aligned and even getting camber plates the wear is still significant, but since i have raised my suspension i have not had to have my tires cambered in. they really arent stance cambered at like 10 degrees but it still enough to wear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please try to locate your alignment printout. I keep all my customers alignments (in Pdf. form on my system) for future reference if ever needed to call upon for diagnosis of any future issue, and post it here. Perhaps the shop still has it stored electronically?

There's alignments and then there's the RIGHT way to do it. I've posted numerous times on the differences between the two. Most of the time any ol' alignment will be satisfactory (not in my book however) for a time. However when going after an issue such as a pull or strange wear this is where doing it the right way (weighting the car down and setting the weight and measuring the ride height against specs in TIS) combined with a printout will greatly aid me in trying to help.

Not to be harsh, but anything else is just a guess....
i did get my BMW aligned at fort Wayne BMW, which has a really good service shop, so Im assuming they did a professional job, but i will take note of this in case, maybe even see if they did store it electronically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts