E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TiAg 330i
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on retrofitting m-technik kit, so I need it painted.

My local dealer gave me two body shop names, but refuse to give recommendation on either. I am thinking of paying a visit to one of them and talk to people there.

I called BMWNA and the guy told me there is no "BMW" paint. All shops use aftermarket paint that meet manufacturer's spec. Is there a particular brand or type of paint better?

I will also retrofit PDC, any concerns letting body shop do this?

How do I select a good body shop? Is there some way I can tell the quality of work they do?

Thanks in advance.

·
'a certain moderator'
34,496 Posts
cant really help, but u should have them paint your moldings while ur painting stuff... makes silver sedans look SO hot!

and WELCOME!

i like ur front plate, always nice seeing a bimmer rolling around with the German temp. tag on the front, u know they did Euro Delivery :thumbup:

-brendan

·
Der Meisterstück
2,399 Posts
The paint of choice for European Cars such as BMW and Mercedes as well as Porsche is Silkens. Good Body Shops will use Silkens Paints. Most shops just use PPG paints. But as with all paints, they still need some mixing to get the colors right, however Silkens I believe has the colors ready mixed. Also Silkens is made in Europe.

·
TiAg 330i
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simsima325 said:
cant really help, but u should have them paint your moldings while ur painting stuff... makes silver sedans look SO hot!
I thought about painting the moldings, but have changed my mind since. With painted moldings, the silver car looks very civilized IMO and less sporty. It may look nice from far away, but up close, painted moldings screws up the proportion. It makes the wheels look much smaller in a silver car, because there is a lot of silver and little black. I am also worried about chipping. Just my opinion.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,399 Posts
The paint of choice for European Cars such as BMW and Mercedes as well as Porsche is Silkens. Good Body Shops will use Silkens Paints. Most shops just use PPG paints. But as with all paints, they still need some mixing to get the colors right, however Silkens I believe has the colors ready mixed. Also Silkens is made in Europe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts