BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am approaching the 5 month anniversary of my car this month. My 04' 330ci is a bit over 5000 miles. My car seems to be runnin all so smoothly. Should I consider an oil change at this point or should I wait until the "Oil Light" flash to indicate an oil change at the BMW Dealer?

I am new to this and have never had a BMW before. So I am curious as wanting to keep my engine running smoothly and nothing breaking in my car to keep it healthy should it require oil changing.

If so, what oil type should i purchase and how much would it cost?
Is it also easy to do it myself on the car or should i bring it into the dealership?

Thanks all for your info.

·
Registered
721 Posts
BmW4Ever330ci said:
Hello.

I am approaching the 5 month anniversary of my car this month. My 04' 330ci is a bit over 5000 miles. My car seems to be runnin all so smoothly. Should I consider an oil change at this point or should I wait until the "Oil Light" flash to indicate an oil change at the BMW Dealer?

I am new to this and have never had a BMW before. So I am curious as wanting to keep my engine running smoothly and nothing breaking in my car to keep it healthy should it require oil changing.

If so, what oil type should i purchase and how much would it cost?
Is it also easy to do it myself on the car or should i bring it into the dealership?

Thanks all for your info.
If it's a lease then I would wait for the oil light; I am! If it's your then I would change it at 7500 (half of the factory suggestion) and let the dealer do it under warranty at 15K. Use a high quality synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or even the original Castrol Synthetic. Just be sure to use the correct oil weight.

·
Registered
266 Posts
First Oil Change at 5000miles?
I have an 04 330 also,

My plan 2 oil changes a year appx every 5000 miles.

All from the dealer, for consistency and good record keeping, I dont mind paying for every other change. I am keeping this car, its not a lease.

Happy Driving !!!!
:blink:

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,336 Posts
I had my first at 1200 miles and then now I do every 7500 from there on out.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
i recommend you change it, since you're in san francisco as well, you know with all the traffic and hills, my car only has 12,000 miles, almost two years, but i've changed it quite a few times already, once at the dealership, and as for oil, you can just get the oil bmw recommends, which is castrol, but mobil 1 is good too, like someone stated earlier.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks you guys. Yeah, this is my own car and plan to keep it until it brakes down. lol!!!!! In that case, I should go change it soon.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If i were you, I would change the first one at 5k miles. This is the most important because it gets out the metal shaving/bits from the engine. New M3s get a oil change at 1200 miles just as a example.

After that, I will change it every 7.5k miles if you plan on owning the car for a while. If not, then wait till the S.I. light comes on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Quote from "Mobil 1 test results": "Based on the results we've got here, we'd recommend 8,000 miles between oil changes on an engine that uses no oil at all, perhaps 10,000 miles on an engine that uses some oil, and 15,000 miles or beyond with a filter change every 5,000 miles."

Use this information for what YOUR engine is doing, not a hard fast rule of thumb based on xxxxx miles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
BMW trys to push the limit with the 15k intervals, I plan on doing 2 oil changes between the scheduled services: 1st @ 5k and 2nd @ 10k, then the service interval @ 15k so on and so forth. Some say xtreme but the cleaner the oil the better it is for the engine. This may sound lame, but the filler cap reads "Castrol" so I'm staying with it. Wal-mart sells Castrol in the 5qt container (Imperial Gal) for $ 18.88 That's $3.77 a quart, don't think you can get it any cheaper than that.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You guys do know that you get one oil change free of charge each year regardless of mileage right? It's part of the maintenance package, so even if you put 1 mile on the car and wait till next year. They still have to changed the oil for you.

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,152 Posts
Change your oil regularly!!!

Why spend $40k+ on a car and sweat over a $45 DIY oil change?

Do not wait 15k between oil changes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Synthetic oil is not a resourse (at least not a natural one)... That said, I will change my oil every 5000 miles. I'm the one who paid 37 grand for my car and I'm the one who will have to dish out 10 grand for a new engine if I decide to change the oil every 15000 miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts