E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a 04 M3 with only 25k miles on it. I paid 18k for it and thought it was a good deal. I got it checked out by a mechanic and all seemed good.*
The day I bought it a few days later and on the drive home the check engine light came on. The seller must have cleared the light before I showed up.*
I ran the codes and it said it was the cat. The seller told me it couldn't be the cat and that it was the secondary air pump or smog pump.*
*I changed The pump and light cane back on. It's been a couple weeks and still havent been able to smog it. Where should I go from here? Any help would be great

·
Registered
96 Posts
^^ +1
And I don't know about the states but up here in Canada 18 k for a 04 M3 with such low K seems very very cheap like I said I am talking about prices here in Canada but either way post up codes and good luck with car

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
It does seem super cheap. Cat going bad can mean a lot of headaches in the future.

Its odd because at that low mileage it shouldn't have a problem. Engines that burn oil will ruin a cat in a short period of time. Pray thats not your situation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought the same year a few months ago. apparently there is a recall on that. the car throws erroneous fault codes. BMW i guess fixes it for free. its just a problem in the computer. at least that is what i was told.

·
Registered
484 Posts
An 04 with 25k miles on it? For 18k? Wow that's cheap.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Lucky I don't live in California with all this emission laws
I run a straight pipe from header back with no cats in Pennsylvania
That because I do my own inspection
LOL

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Registered
344 Posts
Go to the dealer and have it checked. It may be on the recall list.

If the cat is done. Time and excuses for some new mods. YAY!

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
484 Posts
Damn you snatched that up hella cheap get some dealer plates and take it into the dealer or a indy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, go to dealer if the cat problem. I had c240 MB without warranty a long ago and they replaced cat for no cost, cuz 7 year warranty from the Law.
The dealer said 7 years...I am not sure if they changed to 8 years

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.