E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Car E46 M3

10K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  mrfuzzybagels 
#1 ·
I really want a E46 M3 as my first car stick of course cause what fun of having an M3 if it's not stick? The only problem is I don't know how to drive stick. I'm worried about getting ripped off also not knowing much about the E46 M3. Please Help

#3 · (Edited)
dont do it!

Buy a 1.4 honda or something because you are going to damage it in some way or another. a high power rear wheel drive car is for peolpe who have already had the stupid fun of damaging a not-so-precious car. Don't wreck an M3, please!

P.S. I didn't read to the end of bagels post before suggesting Honda :p

#5 ·
if you want the m3 as a first car cool, not the best choice but doable, lookout for maintenance paperwork from the seller the more the better. Expect to change that clutch a few times if your just learning. best way to learn do what i did, bought a honda civic for next to nothing learn how to drive stick in that. if your ok with driving in traffic with a manual do it, i wasnt so i got a smg since ny traffic is horrible. also know these s54 m3 are noisy so if you look at one remember that and be smart about what you are hearing if there is ticking or knocking be careful

#15 ·
Whip q50? If your looking for a car to whip cars in straight line e46 m3 is not for you. And if thats why your buying that car u wont like the outcome of what will happen to you. Do a quick youtube to see all the crashes that happen to people attempting what you are describing. Goodluck!

#17 ·
Don't buy it if you don't have the job to take care of it first. If you'll get the job in a couple months, buy the car in a couple months. If you can only buy German, I don't know how the Camry will work. I highly suggest getting a 323 or 325 e46 as a first car for the first two weeks, it can teach you a lot. It'd be best to learn stick on one of those instead of a larger investment M3.

If this is really your first car, as others said, get an M3. My first car was a 328 (I learned to drive in a FWD car). I'll be honest, after my initial maintenance I drove it really hard, and had a close call control wise at high speeds around a corner. It taught me to be humble, and that a car doesn't make you invincible and that it's important to know how to handle power. You can't just throw "yo new whip" around roads, as others have said. If you're going from no wheels to four wheels, you should really take those two months it takes to find a better job learning stick on a car with less power.

I doubt anyone who's already talking about racing other cars has the responsibility to handle an E46 M3 as their first car. As others are saying, Honda (or even a standard E46 if you must buy German as you say) would be a better first car, even if it's only for those two months it takes to find a better job.

#22 ·
Driving stick is the same whether it's a geo metro or a porsche 911. So learning won't change no matter what car you have.
As far as an m3 for your first car I wouldn't. You sound incredibly immature and you will crash it. There's far better drivers who have crashed much slower cars.

#25 ·
This.

And I think driving my E90 328 is harder than the M3 because E90 feels sooooo disconnected from driver. Besides the, sometimes, notchy shifts, driving the M3 feels awesome and is extremely easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.