BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i'm new to this forum and would like to get BMW enthusiasts' opinions on this car that I am looking at. The car is a 2001 330ci with a m3 body kit and wheels. It has 54k original miles and the guy is only asking $6500. I have talked to the guy and he said the reason it has a "rebuilt" title is because it was stolen then recovered. Should I even bother going to look at it or just keep searching? Thanks in advance.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/4389101265.html

·
Registered
285 Posts
whatever you do, have a PPI done. Does he have any records for maintenance? (as far as I know, these cars can only be stolen with a rollback wrecker or towed away..)

·
Banned
2,308 Posts
Hood doesn't close all the way and the fenders don't line up - if he can't fix simple things like this, who knows how much important stuff he hacked up.

·
Registered
18,806 Posts
While I typically stay clear of modded cars, this owner at least intended on keeping the car stock looking. If those are OEM parts (which they look to be) then I don't think it would hurt to get the car checked out. As far as the M3 fenders, I don't agree with them, but with some adjusting, at least you can make the hood/fenders/front bumper fit close to OEM.

On to more important things. This has a rebuilt title. Does that mean the car is necessarily a POS? No, which is why you want to pay the $105 to get it checked out properly. One thing that is certain is, it will kill any resale value that this car has left. Considering the car has pretty much depreciated as much as possible, maybe it isn't as big a concern as it would be if the car was 4 years old going for $20k.

Just get it checked out first and get a full history of what happened with the car before anything, then a PPI, then well.. lowball and use the salvaged title to work a deal.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Knowing how most people are you proberly still gonna "Pull the trigger" and buy it anyways despite us warning you not to do it. Don't buy it. There is something not right about it. Even with a salvage title I've seen 330 offered much higher with slightly more miles. There is more to the story with this car. I wouldn't do it. As mentioned above. It looks like that M3 conversion was slapped together in someone's garage or driveway. But if you do be careful and get more information. Annoy the seller with good questions.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pull the cord on that car. Lots of unknowns. Take your time and you will find something better. Good luck with the search!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
695 Posts
Run the vin on ncib.org to get more information on why it had a rebuilt title. If it really was stolen it should show up as being reported stolen. Otherwise, and more likely, it is a rebuilt flood damaged car.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Got curious so I ran the vin. The car was indeed stolen, however, this was after it was totaled in a collision back in 2005. so it is a double whammy.

Definitely take a pass on this car. Would be worth $1.5k or so and then parting out the interior to get under the $500 limit to use it as a 24 hr of lemons race car.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Got curious so I ran the vin. The car was indeed stolen, however, this was after it was totaled in a collision back in 2005. so it is a double whammy.

Definitely take a pass on this car. Would be worth $1.5k or so and then parting out the interior to get under the $500 limit to use it as a 24 hr of lemons race car.
That's an awesome idea! I wouldn't pay more than 1000 given that history

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yeah, except I'm sure the seller wouldn't go for it. If it's a running bmw I'm sure there is some moron out there who will pay significantly more despite its history.
$tru$

1 - 19 of 19 Posts