E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I don't post much so here's a mini intro and pic. Names Michael and it's been a year this month that I bought this gorgeous piece of German ass. 2006, SMG, Vert.
Vehicle Car Automotive design Compact car Wheel
She just hit 67,000 miles. Through a work sponsorship event I get to take her around Harris Hill here in South Texas. She is completely OEM except for aux jack, and muffler tips. Do I need updated sway bar? Bushings? Etc??? I've NEVER raced around a track. I know She is fully capable of kicking ass, I just want her to be current since she is going on 8 years old.

Couple other things:

At highway speeds I feel a wiggle in the steering wheel, and under braking at higher speeds the wheel shakes even more.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Michael D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yeah, you definitely want to make sure your subframe is in tact and/or reinforced. I would do LCA's, RTAB's, Guibo, etc. before running it around the track. This isn't including fluids

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Yeah, you definitely want to make sure your subframe is in tact and/or reinforced. I would do LCA's, RTAB's, Guibo, etc. before running it around the track. This isn't including fluids
You are kidding right?

OP needs fresh brake fluid and a pre-track inspection. That's it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not to be a noob...but....LCA? RTAB? Guibo? Etc...

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
you're likely fine. Whatever your car is lacking that will break on the street will just break on the track sooner. the track will reveal anything in dire need. as far as prepping for the track, just your basic safety inspection. maintain your car as you should otherwise. anything worn out will just make your car perform on a lower level but are things that need to be addressed anyway. GL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

you're likely fine. Whatever your car is lacking that will break on the street will just break on the track sooner. the track will reveal anything in dire need. as far as prepping for the track, just your basic safety inspection. maintain your car as you should otherwise. anything worn out will just make your car perform on a lower level but are things that need to be addressed anyway. GL!
Thank-you! I changed the oil a week ago, new rotors and pads 4 months ago. Tires are good. I think it's going to be a blast!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Steering wheel wiggle especially under breaking usually is a sign of bad front control arm bushings. I've been neglecting my own, but usually they are only part of the issue. Definitely check those out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steering wheel wiggle especially under breaking usually is a sign of bad front control arm bushings. I've been neglecting my own, but usually they are only part of the issue. Definitely check those out.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Crap, I will check into it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you've never been on a track before you don't need any mods at all, the car is already more capable than you are. Just check all the maintenance items, make sure the safety equipment, brake pads, and tires are in good shape, and maybe bleed the brakes. Just go in with an open mind, pay attention at the drivers' meeting, listen to the instructors, and have fun. Remember, slow in = fast out, fast in = wipeout.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Yup, have fun. It'll give you a good baseline for when you start replacing things such as the RTAB (rear trailing arm bushings) and FCABs (front control arm bushings), which made a huge impact on how my car handled. Reinforcing the subframe is something you should do on an M3 irregardless if you track it or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you've never been on a track before you don't need any mods at all, the car is already more capable than you are. Just check all the maintenance items, make sure the safety equipment, brake pads, and tires are in good shape, and maybe bleed the brakes. Just go in with an open mind, pay attention at the drivers' meeting, listen to the instructors, and have fun. Remember, slow in = fast out, fast in = wipeout.
I like this, "low in = fast out, fast in = wipeout". Appreciate the heads up! Little nervous, just don't want to wreck the M!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts