E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the mood for a race last night and as I was getting on I75 I notice a C320 in front of me with a custom license plate. I had seen him around town and he acts as though his car is the ****. I pull up next to him and ride for a little bit then he hits his brakes and dips back behind me. So I'm thinking no race for me. Then as I get up to the 475 bypass I see this car with HIDs booking it off the onramp. I speed up to see what it is and rolling by me at 90mph is a 325i. :D

He takes the 475 ramp and even though it's WAY outta my way I followed. Pulled up next to him in the curve and he gives it a little gas. :thumbup: I was thinking that at the end of the curve he would slow to about 70-80 and wanna go from there. No. This guy flys by me as if I we were already racing. :loco: So I left it in 5th and slowly caught up to him. He was doing about 110 and I put 2 car lengths between us before hiting my brakes to get his ass to slow down and really go. He slows down to about 80 but his headlights are just at my rear bumper and then he floors it again. I'm cursing at this point. :ben: So I have to speed up again and put a car between us before he slows down again. This time I start signaling him what to do since he obviously doesn't understand what lining up is. I motion for him to line up and at about 70 he finally does and as soon as he lines up he dumps it and I'm like "no honks?" So either way I finally have a reason to down shift and throw it into 3rd. By the time i had to put it in 4th I had 3.5 cars between us and once I hit 4th he just kept getting smaller. I slowed back down and he pulled up just enough to check my badge. I gave him a :thumbup: and took the next exit.

I know I'm picking on the 325s with this post but I've never ran one or any other E46 for that matter. But that wasn't even near close. I was really supprised. I thought it'd be alot closer than that. His car had to be stock (no intake or exhaust noise) and I know mine is. But now I've decided I need some basic mods. But definately a Shark. :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't know why the guy in the 325i even bothered messing with you. If I see a '330' badge, I won't waste my gas racing to get my ass handed to me. You weren't de-badged were you? :hmm:

Good kill though :thumbup:

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,467 Posts
bennyg said:
I don't know why the guy in the 325i even bothered messing with you. If I see a '330' badge, I won't waste my gas racing to get my ass handed to me. You weren't de-badged were you? :hmm:

its always fun tho, the only e46 i ran with was a m3, i didnt do it to win, i did it to see him whip the m3 :drool:

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,496 Posts
idoc330ci said:
Pick on someone your own size :buff:

I did that once....with a bully actually. I was driving down Storrow and saw this bright HID coming real quick. Since there were no cars around I figured why not. So as soon as the other car caught up I gunned it. Now, the other driver must have been stunned to see 330 trying to race him cuz he hesitated. then all of a sudden I hear this ROOOOOAR!!! I look back at his car and I notice that his car is rapidly gaining up on me. I look down at my dash and notice that I am pretty up there. So how is this guy catching up so fast? DOH! :banghead: M5.

yup, I admit....I got :eek:wned:

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
At lower speeds the 325 can somewhat compensate for its torque deficiency with shorter gearing. The 330 can still pull on it at these speeds, but not utterly decimate it either.

Once you hit highway speeds, it's all over for the 325. The 330 keeps pulling hard and the 325 just dies off. :hi:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
10chi said:
I did that once....with a bully actually. I was driving down Storrow and saw this bright HID coming real quick. Since there were no cars around I figured why not. So as soon as the other car caught up I gunned it. Now, the other driver must have been stunned to see 330 trying to race him cuz he hesitated. then all of a sudden I hear this ROOOOOAR!!! I look back at his car and I notice that his car is rapidly gaining up on me. I look down at my dash and notice that I am pretty up there. So how is this guy catching up so fast? DOH! :banghead: M5.

yup, I admit....I got :eek:wned:

Good try though.....but yeah, M5 is way out of our league :cry:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bennyg said:

I have my badges. I think neither of us knew what the outcome was gonna be. He had a clear view of my car in the curve getting on 475. I think what made him try was that he saw halogen headlights on my car and assumed I either had his model but without lots of goodies or if he did see the badge, he could have thought I just put a 330 badge on a 325.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Drag'nGT said:
I have my badges. I think neither of us knew what the outcome was gonna be. He had a clear view of my car in the curve getting on 475. I think what made him try was that he saw halogen headlights on my car and assumed I either had his model but without lots of goodies or if he did see the badge, he could have thought I just put a 330 badge on a 325.
Sometimes, when I'm feeling malicious, I zoom past stock 330s and try to get them to follow me around turns... especially if it's wet out... :eeps: :evil:

·
Banned
1,987 Posts

·
Just a Brand-wh0re Elitist
3,496 Posts
SteelBlueXI said:
Sometimes, when I'm feeling malicious, I zoom past stock 330s and try to get them to follow me around turns... especially if it's wet out... :eeps: :evil:

i dunno about wet roads, but the xi loaner I got was terrible around turns. car kept slowing down. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I'd like a try...

Drag'nGT said:
I was in the mood for a race last night and as I was getting on I75 I notice a C320 in front of me with a custom license plate. I had seen him around town and he acts as though his car is the ****. I pull up next to him and ride for a little bit then he hits his brakes and dips back behind me. So I'm thinking no race for me. Then as I get up to the 475 bypass I see this car with HIDs booking it off the onramp. I speed up to see what it is and rolling by me at 90mph is a 325i. :D

He takes the 475 ramp and even though it's WAY outta my way I followed. Pulled up next to him in the curve and he gives it a little gas. :thumbup: I was thinking that at the end of the curve he would slow to about 70-80 and wanna go from there. No. This guy flys by me as if I we were already racing. :loco: So I left it in 5th and slowly caught up to him. He was doing about 110 and I put 2 car lengths between us before hiting my brakes to get his ass to slow down and really go. He slows down to about 80 but his headlights are just at my rear bumper and then he floors it again. I'm cursing at this point. :ben: So I have to speed up again and put a car between us before he slows down again. This time I start signaling him what to do since he obviously doesn't understand what lining up is. I motion for him to line up and at about 70 he finally does and as soon as he lines up he dumps it and I'm like "no honks?" So either way I finally have a reason to down shift and throw it into 3rd. By the time i had to put it in 4th I had 3.5 cars between us and once I hit 4th he just kept getting smaller. I slowed back down and he pulled up just enough to check my badge. I gave him a :thumbup: and took the next exit.

I know I'm picking on the 325s with this post but I've never ran one or any other E46 for that matter. But that wasn't even near close. I was really supprised. I thought it'd be alot closer than that. His car had to be stock (no intake or exhaust noise) and I know mine is. But now I've decided I need some basic mods. But definately a Shark. :thumbup:
The two things I'd like to try are 1) Me against a stock 325i just to see if my modest mods actually did any good, and 2) Me against a 330 like yours (stock) to see if I gained any ground and how wide the gap still is. :dunno:

Probably willl never get the chance though, spend too much time in bumper to bumper Atlanta area traffic just dreaming of the open road. And to think, I left LA to get rid of gridlock :banghead:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.