E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Movin' Easy
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Pat and Tony can attest at the last meet, I have been dying for a V1. It arrived yesterday, and I hard-wired it, using the diy instructions from www.bmw330ci.com. Easy and quick. :thumbup:

·
Help me Help you!
946 Posts
Nice!
definitely my next mod when i get the $$.
Do you have tints on ur car?
I am worried because i have 20% all around and afraid it would reduce the effectiveness of the v1.
Glad to hear the DIY was easy!

·
Movin' Easy
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, no tint on my car. However, they recommended that it be installed below the blue tint at the top of the windshield, as you can see in the pic.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,959 Posts
SWEET you are ready to go

but do your self a favor still watch out for the cops. and keep it under 135 hehehe
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
is now a 2L! woot!
303 Posts
how much are V1's?

·
Movin' Easy
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: SWEET you are ready to go

bobm3 said:
but do your self a favor still watch out for the cops. and keep it under 135 hehehe
bobm3 ;) ;)
Funny you should say that... I find that my lead foot is a little heavier with the V1 on. But I'm still learning the audible tones and the bogey counter/visual display. A great investment.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Call Valentine and ask for an open box unit. They sell them at a discount as well as the accessories. You cannot tell the difference. These are units that were returned under the 30 day period.

I did the 330Ci install but added one item. I ran a phone cord tucked into the head liner down the A pillar under the dash up the side of the console and into my ash tray where I mounted the remote notification module (bought at discount direct from Valentie). My unit on the windhshield (I have 22% tint and have the sensort just below the line) shows no lights. All arrows show up in my ash tray and when I lock the car, I can close the ashtray lid and my whole set up is almost hidden.

I have the parts, but have not created the box to hide the main V1 unit in the center of the back window on that middle car seat latch.

·
Registered
209 Posts
IS THE V1 LEGAL IN NJ AND NY???

IS THERE AYWHERE I CAN PUT IT WITHOUT IT WIRES HANGING DOWN?

LIKE BETWEEN THE SEETS OR SOMETHING OR BY THE FEET OF THE PASSENGER SIDE???

·
Help me Help you!
946 Posts
03BMW325CI said:
IS THE V1 LEGAL IN NJ AND NY???

IS THERE AYWHERE I CAN PUT IT WITHOUT IT WIRES HANGING DOWN?

LIKE BETWEEN THE SEETS OR SOMETHING OR BY THE FEET OF THE PASSENGER SIDE???
i believe radars r legal here (only 2 states where it is illegal)
also since he 'hardwired' the v1 which means that he doesnt need to plug it into the cigarette lighter for the power. So pretty much there are no wires hanging. All you see is the v1 unit.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,111 Posts
it is legal in nj and ny

i love my v1, its the best out there for the money.:thumbup:

·
Nymphomaniac
300 Posts
Looks Great!! Matt, let us know how it goes.. how many times it saved ur @ss coming up 17.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Here are some pictures of my V-1 install. Not sure you can see my tint strip, but I basically have the V-1 as close to the top of the windshield as I can with just the sensor portion dipping below the 22% tint strip. It also has a clear view out the rear window which is also tinted in 22%. I have seen no change in the effectiveness of the radar, so I could probably mount the V-1 main unit higher which would conceal it more, though its very hard to see.

Here is my remote display hidden in my ash tray.

This is what I am working on creating for my rear window. Copied this from someone else and hoping to improve upon it. The cover is the one that is on your roof that hides your motion sensor in the car ($16 at your BMW Dealer). Bottom is created out of wood. I know the guy who made that made it out of wood and held it in place by unscrewing the child safety strap hook and screwing the V-1 holder into it.

·
Dinan Pimp
1,126 Posts
PDACPA said:

This is what I am working on creating for my rear window. Copied this from someone else and hoping to improve upon it. The cover is the one that is on your roof that hides your motion sensor in the car ($16 at your BMW Dealer). Bottom is created out of wood. I know the guy who made that made it out of wood and held it in place by unscrewing the child safety strap hook and screwing the V-1 holder into it.

So you would mount the actual detector in the back window and it wouldn't have any trouble catching radar in front of you?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Cyber Pete - I think I found that on the Bimmerforums board and the guy who created it tested it and found no change. I mean think about the distance from the front windshield to the rear deck (fairly short in a coupe) and the V-1 has great range. The only part I was not crazy about was that it was not mounted as high as my current set up. That was why I said I was hoping to improve upon his design.

My ideas have been with the third brake light or behind my universal transmitter.

There is also a guy on the Bimmerforums (Clinton I think his nick is) who has an E36 cab and he has a molded plastic housing that sits between the two rear seat headrests for his V-1. I have seen that set up on a Z3 too.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts