E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finally got a RE Exhaust. (closer tips)

4K views 59 replies 25 participants last post by  Craig 
#1 ·
Well I finally got me an exhaust put on my car. I waited and debated and I've come to buy the RE exhaust. The opportunity presented itself after I was rear ended.

I got it installed at Midas for $170. That included the weld job and install. Welding was done at the first resonator then clamped at the muffler.

170 is a lot IMO but I made sure they did it right and it was done right because I stayed on them. :) It looked like they had fun putting it on because they skipped a couple of cars just to do mine. Took them about 45 mins to get it done.

I gotta say that this is a nice exhaust but I'm hesistant to say too much about the sound because it needs to be broken in a little. It does sound awesome after the pipes are heated up--especially when you start up the car. My next mod has got to be a SSK. My shifter has so much slop now it's not funny. Weird thing I saw today is that my dealer is advertising UUC SSK installs. I might have to jump on that!

Here's some preliminary pics. I'll post more later with it installed. The exhausts that are shipping now have been revised just a bit with closer tips.

My Gallery!

See less See more
#6 ·
ya that midas ripped you , they charged me 75 bucks , located next to the RE shop.

Re is a wonderful thing

#7 ·
Ward,

No, I don't have a pic of the older one. I thought maybe those who had the exhaust prior could tell a difference.

Dinan3er, did they do any welding or did they just do clamps all over? With just the clamp job it would have come to roughly $80 total but since I had it welded where the resonator was I got charged extra.

#10 ·
err from the pics, doesn't look like the tips are any closer together than they were in first production exhausts.
(i got this exhaust shortly after it came out)

And yeah midas definately ripped you off by at least 50bucks. Congrads on the exhaust, I love mine.

#11 ·
Well I'm not mad cause this is one of the RARE times that a shop actually did as I said. :)

K-Dog, that's the kind of feedback I hoped for because they said they moved them in closer according to their website.

I will post more pics with it installed tomorrow to compare.

BTW-how long did it take for you to notice that the sound on the exhaust changed while it was breaking in?

#15 ·
K-DOG said:
err from the pics, doesn't look like the tips are any closer together than they were in first production exhausts.
(i got this exhaust shortly after it came out)

And yeah midas definately ripped you off by at least 50bucks. Congrads on the exhaust, I love mine.
Damn the shop in taiwan who makes that exhaust could've eliminated that 3'' spacing between tips no??

#18 ·
UPDATE

Ok guys I have my car back from the body shop with some updated pics on the exhaust.

Also, good news. I got the insurance company to compensate me for the difference in the exhaust price/labor so I ended up getting a free exhaust. :D

Without further delay. Here are the pics:

#23 ·
Re: Re: UPDATE

B said:

Wow that's 20952345034 times better than the old RE exhaust. It almost looks good except for the actual tip design...

congrats

Thanks B. I'll admit the tips are different than most but I absolutely like them. The exhaust note is sounding so much better now with almost a month's time being on my car.

I disagree with whoever said this exhaust was loud. It has quieted down considerably since it was first installed. I describe the sound as 'agressive mellow'.

#24 ·
Re: Re: Re: UPDATE

Dukes said:

Thanks B. I'll admit the tips are different than most but I absolutely like them. The exhaust note is sounding so much better now with almost a month's time being on my car.

I disagree with whoever said this exhaust was loud. It has quieted down considerably since it was first installed. I describe the sound as 'agressive mellow'.

about how long are the pipes coming out of the can?

and how many miles have you put on the exhaust so far?

#25 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: UPDATE

B said:

about how long are the pipes coming out of the can?

and how many miles have you put on the exhaust so far?

Did I take bad angles for you not to get a good look of how they come out? Being that the tips are staggered I'll say that one tip comes out 1-inch and the other 1.5 inches. Something like that.

So far I've put about 450 miles on it.

#26 ·
Looks good I'll have this exhaust in a couple of days...definately looks better than the older model...You really cant get the tips any closer than that...If you look at the mufflers they are basically touching each other...not much you can do with that...the sound is to die for though...Nice pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.