BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
For those in NYC, I can get OEM batteries straight from the dealer for about $100 - $110

·
Registered
103 Posts
Great thread! For those of you wondering, 49-DL does indeed fit the E46 M3, at least my 2002. Comes with vent tube extension so it will reach the stock tube, a little longer than the OEM battery, but there's enough room in there.

-Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
AutoZone Duralast 49-DL $79.99 + $10 core + 7.75% Orange County, CA sales tax

2001 BMW 330i original battery left me stranded a couple of times. I bump started a few times, jumper cabled a few times, and applied 2 AMP trickle charges in between just to be sure it was dying. The little window on the original battery still shows green. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the price seems to have increased for the AutoZone Duralast 49-DL (-D does not appear to exist any longer). Or maybe it's just $outhern California.

In any case, I took pictures if you want a step by step walkthrough of how I replaced my battery.
http://reviews.paonet.org/20070221-Duralast_49-DL/

rcpao

PS: Batteries are heavy. Make sure you clear the cables before you attempt to put in the new battery. Juggling the battery while trying to pull out cables that are wedged in the sides, I mashed my finger. Learn from my painful lesson.

The battery my wife bought sitting on the shelf at AutoZone was not fully charged. I'm trickle charging it overnight now that it's installed.

2016-02-01 Update just for history's sake:
This particular 49-DL died on 2011/08/29. The link I posted above also reflected this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank god for this message board

on monday i noticed my car was lagging on start up, i was concerned so i called Brad at BTM performance, and he told me "yup you need a new battery" his quote was $163 for new battery so i searched the threads here and came upon this one. I called autozone they did not have the battery 94R but they did have the 49DL in stock i bought it put it in, it was very easy and im good to go. Moral of the story check the message board for anything regarding your ride...thanks everyone

By the way i noticed it monday and by today it had died would not start at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Although this thread is old, I find that it still contains valid information. The battery in my 2003 M3 died, and I replaced it with the Duralast 49-DL battery from Autozone for $69.99 with trade. I saved some money compared to the recommended 94 series battery. Thanks to all who helped keep this information in the public domain.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For those of you that have had dead batteries, did you get the battery light on the dash board before you started to lose starting power? My battery light comes on when it's cold (lower than 35 or so) right after starting the car but then it goes away after about 10 seconds or so. It's pretty consistent but only happens when it's cold. I haven't noticed any lack in cranking power, the car starts right up even in 10 degree weather. Is my battery dying or is it just the temperature?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Picked up my 49-DL battery today

My original battery ('01 330xi) was getting noticeably weaker the last couple of months (although never got the dash light) and this past week I let the car sit outside for 2 days with the V1 on and in very cold temps (bad winds earlier this week). Car wouldn't start this morning. So instead of hassling with charging I figured it was time for a new battery anyways... called two Autozones in the area, one quoted $69 + core, the other $59 + core. Ran over to the cheaper store and it rang up as $69, mentioned that the woman on the phone quoted me $59 and he did a manual override. If you are luck enough to have several autozones near you make a couple calls and see if you can save yourself a couple bucks. Battery dropped in no problems, angled vent tube came with battery, along with an adapter that joins right to the OE vent tube. If I were being picky I'd trim about 2" off the new pipe to keep things from being sloppy but hey, it's too cold outside to futz around! The new battery is a tad shorter and the top bracket doesn't cinch down as tightly as before - again, if it weren't so cold I'd fabricate some sort of shim to get it to fit properly. Maybe a project for the spring...

Thanks to this thread for all the help...

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Will the Duralast battery work in a 1997 E36 32X?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread has been around for quite some time but if there ever was a good sticky this has got to be it. I replaced my battery exactly 1 year ago with a OEM from the dealer. The battery started having trouble turning over the engine last week and completely died a couple days ago. I charged it in the garage but it wouldn't hold for more than a few hours.

I figured if I brought it back to the dealership they'd give me another since it's been 1 year and from what I understand, car batteries typically last just a little bit longer than that. Well...I figured wrong. They said since they did not install it they couldn't be sure if it had to do with user error. For the record, I had my father install it since I had to work that day and he's a mechanic with his own shop. Well, I know when I'm getting the end around so I just left and told them I'd drive across town to the other BMW dealer from now on if I needed to be robbed again.

Stopped by Pep Boys and Advance Auto to see if they had any suitable replacements. They asked God (their computer) and he said no. I told them I knew for a fact some people get direct replacements from their store but it just was not listed. I must of forgotten to put away my crack pipe that day evidently because they looked at me like I was still high. Went back home, checked this topic again last night and then stopped by Autozone this morning. Grabbed the 49DL and went to the register. Clerk asked me what car it was for and I said BMW 330ci. I expected to get a round of BS like the rest of the guys here did but he actually chuckled and asked how'd I know. He's got a e36 M3 sedan it turns out.

The install was a snap with no real changes other than removing the white plastic holder at the very bottom to fit the longer 49DL. The hose fits fine with no crimps or weird bends. Had to adjust the metal top/bracket to a lower setting since the new battery sits lower or is lower in dimensions. Car turned on fine without a hint of hesitation. I have all factory stereo equipment with the HK system so I don't think I did anything strange to kill the OEM battery. I never listen to the radio with the engine off and I don't even use the lighter for any accessories.

I really think the OEM battery was a real piece of junk not worth the $130 I paid for. My 49DL was $70 with a 24 month warranty and 84 month limited warranty. That alone is better than paying for a dealer installed battery which would run around $180+ after "labor" and not even have a real warranty (not one that they actually stand by anyway). I'm sorry this is so long but I had to vent some of my frustrations with the dealer, who I used to be a very good customer with I'd like to think. I always used their parts, never hassled them when things arrived late or repairs were not done as promptly as requested. I go on a first name basis with everyone in the place from the techs to the salesmen and receptionist. But they all just gave me the cold shoulder with this problem except for the people on this forum. So I just want to endorse the use of the 49DL in terms of fitment and OEM looks. It is a perfectly good battery and I am sure someone would of updated this post with some angry ramblings if it turned out to be a dud. I am a nut for using OEM replacement parts unless it's to upgrade but this time I will never go back to a BMW battery, not that I would even need a new battery anytime soon from what everyone has said. Again, my apologies for the length, I hope it's of some use to anyone.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just replaced mine today!

I killed the old one installing items (draining) on the vehicle. Payed $70 for a Duralast 49-DL with exchanging the old battery (the previous owner had put in a Duralast 48-DL). Fits great except for the top, had to place a shim. Performance was awesome, started right away.

Are batteries completely maintenance free? I have read someplace about adding distilled water?

·
Registered
164 Posts
beaware that sometimes bmws done like "aftermarket" batteries i have seen alot of times cars come back with other electrical problems...so if anything else weird starts to happen you wll know where to look

·
Registered
542 Posts
Just replaced mine today!

I killed the old one installing items (draining) on the vehicle. Payed $70 for a Duralast 49-DL with exchanging the old battery (the previous owner had put in a Duralast 48-DL). Fits great except for the top, had to place a shim. Performance was awesome, started right away.

Are batteries completely maintenance free? I have read someplace about adding distilled water?
im not entirely sure but i believe distilled water thing is for the older batteries cuz nowadays most are completely sealed

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Well, I just read this whole thread!! My battery seems to be doing fine, but I'm tempted now to go out and buy a Duralast 49-DL just so I can say I have one, too!:craig:

Great info! Glad to know when the time comes I won't have to wonder at all.

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,343 Posts
beaware that sometimes bmws done like "aftermarket" batteries i have seen alot of times cars come back with other electrical problems...so if anything else weird starts to happen you wll know where to look
What a total load of bullshit. As long as the capacity is the same or greater than the original battery and it physically fits in the compartment an aftermarket battery is no different than one with a BMW logo on it. Do you think BMW has it's own battery factory?

161 - 180 of 332 Posts