E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(For the haters, please don't turn this into a rant against hitches on a M. It already been done on other posts so move along please.)

Hey guys,

My quest is over. I've been looking around for years for a hitch for the M3. I've been on a number of forums and talked to a lot of people about this. Well I just wanted to let you guys know that I just had a custom hitch fabbed for my e46M3. The hitch was custom designed and built by engineers who do this for a living. I'm saying this because it isn't some backyard home project. It came out better than I could of imagined and does not detract from the look of the rear. Attached are some pics. If you have any questions lemme know.

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you really need a hitch then i say that looks great!!! My car actually came with a hitch when I bought it and I want to remove it as I feel it takes away from the look.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
I find it funny that he used a piece of paper to block his plate lol. any basic editing program could do that for you!

Hitch isn't bad. what do you tow?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gonna use to to tote my mountain bikes and Road bikes around town. Also use it to tow my Track day tires, wheels and supplies to DE events. I know I'm not the only one looking for this solution.

·
:D
7,274 Posts
i laugh at stuff like this on the road. like cadillacs pulling little itty bitty trailers.
where is it attached to? and what is the towing capacity? i imagine not very much as there's not too much back there to reinforce it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i laugh at stuff like this on the road. like cadillacs pulling little itty bitty trailers.
where is it attached to? and what is the towing capacity? i imagine not very much as there's not too much back there to reinforce it.
LMAO. Caddy's pulling ittly bitty trailers. :excited::clap:

Im using it to tow a trailer to driving events, not an airstream. I don't need it to pull much but its rated at 150tongue and 1500lbs pulling. Asking a friend or my gf to tote my wheels, tires and other stuff in another car was getting old. Clearly none of you guys take any gear with you to events.

Like I said, move along if you don't have anything nice to say. This post is for people who want a hitch solution.

BObby

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Although I don't need a hitch on my M3, I can see how it would benefit you. Good job on finding a tidy looking solution!

·
:D
7,274 Posts
i'm not trying to hate on your hitch bro :hi:
what's it actually attached to though? i've seen DIY hitches drilled into the spare wheel well but that seems kinda unstable to me. any underside pics?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Just out of curiosity, do you have any pictures from the bottom? Seems like the muffler would interfere at it's current location.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm not trying to hate on your hitch bro :hi:
what's it actually attached to though? i've seen DIY hitches drilled into the spare wheel well but that seems kinda unstable to me. any underside pics?
They definitely did not drill into the spare well. I believe they used the bumper mounts similar to how they bmw hitch for the 3 series in europe. I can try to take pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I find it funny that he used a piece of paper to block his plate lol. any basic editing program could do that for you!

Hitch isn't bad. what do you tow?
I never understood why people blur out there plates at all anyway... that information isn't exactly confidential :hmm:

When I was in Bavaria I noticed that pretty much every car had a hitch and sometimes they'd be towing some stupidly big stuff behind little Peugot's and stuff, pretty funny to see... so to those doubting it's ability to tow something, you're nuts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
As a hobby photographer - I think the paper is a great idea, so much faster then dicking with photoshop or something.

As for the hitch, that is awesome. No hate here.

I hate when your cycle off the roof and it's covered in bug guts.
Trunk racks scratch the paint...

My bike goes <i>in</i> the trunk with the seats folded down... but then no passengers... or riding partners.

·
Registered
727 Posts
arent you afraid of breaking down while at a trackday? Do most people drive their car or do they trailer it?
Why would you be affraid of breaking down at the track?! if you break down, you loose. You aren't there to loose so should have your car prepped accordingly. If you loose you might as well be a looser and cab home... you could have the car and trailer towed home... most flat bed trucks I noticed can do that.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Wow very impressed that is a cleeeean install! Good job :thumbsup: looks great!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts