BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

161 - 180 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
I finally have a large enough update worth reading about lol.

I finally got around to starting to install all the preventative maintenance stuff that I've been telling you guys that I planned to do.

Picture of the box of stuff. I was too lazy to take everything out to show you what I actually bought. It's missing some stuff in the picture because I only remembered to take a picture of the box after I already started :facepalm:

I started like last week. First up, I finally got my custom Autosolutions SSK from Ronald finally. The thing has some heft to it, and looks well made. I like the fact that he etched my name into the side of it lol

My buddy, John, came over to help. So up it went. Taking the exhaust off and stuff is so much easier with the lift. I also have a transmission jack, so no one has to like hold the exhaust. But I mean the Magnaflow catback I have is pretty light for two people anyways. We had to lower the transmission to get to the shifter coupling. Man that **** is such a :censor: to get off. I never want to take it off again lol I only remembered to take pictures after the exhaust and everything was off and we already started putting everything in :rofl:

The picture shows the new custom carrier, selector rod, and lever.

We did run into a little problem though :( So when I got everything in, and I went up into the car to test it out, I noticed that the shifter was no longer centered. It's like .5" off to the passenger side. It's like basically shifted a whole gate over so neutral is like where 5/6 would be. But since the SSK throws are shorter than what I had before, I could still shift through all the gears fine lol I phoned Ronald, and after some troubleshooting, we think it's the selector rod. From my preliminary findings, it looks like the offset is slightly off.

So there goes that, I just sent him both my factory and his custom selector rod and am now awaiting the new one to be made and sent back. He confirmed that the offset is off like 2mm and that would cause it to be off by up to 10mm at the top.

So when I pull it all the way to the left, it looks like it's centered

Let go, and it's off

So since I couldn't do anything, I left the car up on the lift for like 3 days to wait for the part since I didn't want to put the car down and lift it back up again. But that was all pointless because over the weekend, it was going to rain :ben: So that meant I had to clean up everything and put the car down so that I could cover my lift and stuff from the rain (since my lift is mounted outside). it rained until like Monday? I think?

On Tuesday, since the car was down I decided that I would just go ahead and start tackling the VCG, DISA and all that stuff. The things that I planned to do that day were:

• Clean ICV
  • Clean TB
  • Replace intake hoses with Mishimoto silicone intake hoses
  • Upgrade the DISA with the German Auto Solutions DISA upgrade kit
I didn't take much pictures of what I did then lol All I have are a couple pictures of the G.A.S. DISA stuff.

Scraping off the molded silicone o-ring part is super time consuming. Here's a picture with the unit fully assembled without the new o-ring installed yet.

The Mishimoto silicone hoses have their branding on it everywhere. But as most people who know me, I don't like to have too much of that stuff. I just ended up taking some black electrical tape and putting it on where the logos were to keep it more low key.

Then decided to end the day here and cleaned up :p

Then Wednesday, John came over again to help me tackle the rest of the stuff. Since we were short on time this was what we got done:

• Replace VCG
  • Replace spark plugs
  • Remove washer bottle
  • Cleaned the valve covers and surrounding areas a little.
My engine was pretty clean. In fact, the VCG was still somewhat malleable. It actually made it more difficult to take off the valve cover than when it's all old and brittle. The seals around the spark plugs though were old and basically broke off like chips.

I forgot to take pictures of the plugs, but they did not look good :rofl:

Put everything back and basically cleaned up with time to spare. I don't think you could tell a difference between how it looked dirty and sort of clean here lol

So we actually started to do the next part of my long to do list. Took the electric fan off, and the belts to get ready to do the cooling system refresh tomorrow. And that's pretty much where we're at. It's so much easier to take off the fan on my car lol There's like a ton of room in front of the pulleys now, I'm not used to that.

Snapped a picture of the way the serpentine belt goes for reference later. Look at how cracked the belts were :yikes:

Thursday, I planned to tackle the rest of the cooling system refresh. Things to do:

• Replace belts
  • Replace expansion tank
  • Replace water pump with Stewart water pump.
  • Replace thermostat
  • Replace coolant hoses with Mishimoto silicone coolant hoses.
  • Coolant flush
I decided against doing the radiator because it was still in very good condition. I'll probably replace that on the next refresh. I also didn't do the pulleys yet because I haven't figured out whether I want to do a power pulley set, or just go with OEM again. Or maybe put on a supercharger :idea: which would replace the pulleys too.

Taking off the belts was easy. But man, taking off the expansion tank was ridiculously hard for some reason. I spent like a good 2 hours pulling on that POS to finally get it out. And then the coolant hoses. God dammit, also very hard and also took me 2 hours to take those off. That's pretty much all I was able to do that day lol

Reused my transmission jack to drain the coolant

Expansion tank removed

When I took off the expansion tank, I saw this metal cylindrical thing come out. I was like WTF is this?! I've never seen it before. Then I check the new one, I guess it's meant to stay inside the tank. Good to know, I wasn't driving around with random metal parts in my system :lmao:

My radiator hoses are in super good condition. I could totally sell this. Same thing with my expansion tank lol But I probably won't, iono.

Hoses removed, picture taken from the bottom.

Comparison of the OEM vs. Mishimoto ones (with the black electrical tape mod)

I need to go buy distilled water for the coolant too. That's pretty much where I'm at. I was busy yesterday, and it's windy as hell so I haven't touched the car. [email protected] sent me a text that he shipped out the selector rod, so I'm looking forward to that. Hopefully, it won't be too windy later today and I could try get some more of the stuff out of the way.

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
The weather was pretty nice today. John came by again to help knock out the stuff we were working on Thursday. It was pretty straightforward for the most part. Remove the water pump pulley, then thermostat, then water pump. Then put everything back.

Thermostat removed. Looks perfectly fine like all the other parts. Can you tell which one is the new one?

It's the bottom one, for those that are playing along.

Next was the water pump. Nothing wrong with it, but the old one had some rust where to pulley mounts to.

Thermostat/water pump reinstalled

New belts and the Mishimoto silicone radiator hoses. These fit pretty much perfectly. The only thing was that on the top one, the clamp was hitting the engine hoist bracket. All we had to do was just loosen it and move it out of the way.

Then I replaced my washer bottle finally. I deleted my headlight washers back when I did the whole M3 fenders thing. So my washer bottle had always been leaking because factory reservoir had the hole for the headlight washer pump and it kept leaking from there. So I bought a non-headlight washer bottle along with a brand new washer pump to go with it. I'm finally glad to have a working, non-leaking washer fluid pump/bottle now lol :excited:

As you can see, on the bottle on the top right, you have the headlight washer pump. Then that hole you see under it is the one for the normal washer pump. On the bottom bottle, there's no hole/space for that headlight washer.

Then finally went back to put the DISA in, and started putting on the Mishimoto silicone intake hoses. It looks like I ran into the same problem that a few people have reported here where it seems like the hoses are too long :facepalm: Why haven't they fixed this yet?

Here's some pictures to show how much it's off by.

Pretty much since we were stuck at that point. Just decided to call it a day after I put the cabin air filter housing and stuff back in. This is how it looks currently with everything install except for the air intake stuff.

I'm going to look online to see if there is something I'm not doing right on the intake boots and if there's anything else I could do. In the meantime, I'll be reaching out to them to see if they could provide a solution.

There's not much left to do after this. I won't be free to work on it at least until Monday.

Things to do next week:
  • Install intake hoses/air filter
  • Oil change
  • Fill coolant
  • Fuel filter
  • Clean speed sensors
  • Finish SSK install when the selector rod arrives

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #163 (Edited)
I had a couple hours to spare today so I started working on the selector rod that came in from Ronald on Monday. Install was pretty much straightforward. It looks way more centered now.

Here's a mockup picture I took. Nothing has been screwed on put into place properly. If I had to be picky, I would say it's off by only a couple mm now. But I'm happy with how it is now. Thanks Ronald :thumbup:

Exhaust and everything back in.

And that's about all the daylight I had. Here's how it's sitting now all dirty.

I'm waiting on Mishimoto right now. They replied to me asking for my invoice and some pictures. Then I haven't heard from them since. Don't know what the deal here is. I'll try to call them tomorrow if I have some time to spare to see what's going on.

Things left to do. I swear this list is like never ending because I keep remembering stuff I need to do after I finish something else :banghead::
  • Intake boots/air box/filter/DISA (Waiting on Mishimoto)
  • Oil change
  • Fill coolant
  • Fuel Filter
  • Clean speed sensors
  • Windshield Cowl
  • Re-install strut bar

·
Registered
29,086 Posts
:bow:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You have your own lift. Legit! I'm jealous.

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
You have your own lift. Legit! I'm jealous.
lol Thanks. It helps out so much. I don't even know how I used to do all these DIYs with just jackstands. Especially my SSK install. It was less of a bitch of an install than what I remembered.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Mishimoto boots are too long. I have 2 of them sitting around because I have to cut them to make them fit. Great product, great idea but their measurements or production is not making them correctly. They sent out a second and by the time I got around to the install, well life happened I just threw in the towel and figured I would deal with it at another time.

Here is a post of my problem.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16828468&postcount=198

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Mishimoto boots are too long. I have 2 of them sitting around because I have to cut them to make them fit. Great product, great idea but their measurements or production is not making them correctly. They sent out a second and by the time I got around to the install, well life happened I just threw in the towel and figured I would deal with it at another time.

Here is a post of my problem.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=16828468&postcount=198
Yeah I came across your post when I was looking up to see what's up with them. Figured they would figure this out by now.

So far the only replies I've been getting is whether or not I replied to their emails. Man, I've sent it to them like 5x. Different people keep asking me to resend it. Apparently their emails can't handle attachments or hyperlinks :facepalm:

More space for company logo you know :)
lol seriously. There's like 8 logos on one hose. I bet if they reduced it to 4 it would fit perfectly :rofl:

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
Took care of a few small things yesterday. I finally put the rubber dust boot back in. It's still such a PIA to get this thing in.

Here is me starting, only to realize that it wasn't going in because it's upside-down :facepalm:

Got the sucker in though

Then while I had my shifter console apart. I figured it was time to do the ashtray delete that I always wanted to do. Basically I just changed it to another storage tray. It took some minor modifications to get it to fit since that storage tray isn't made for the smoker's package bracket.

Before (taken before I re-installed the dust boot):

This little LED and black plastic cap was in the way. So I pulled the LED out, and dremeled the plastic piece so that it's the same length of the smaller one that you see in front of it.

After. The top part of the tray isn't straight because I think I had something lying on top of it for awhile. But it bends back out easily:

And what am I going to use it for? Just to store my AUX cable lol I did put the AUX cable in the ashtray before, but sometimes it got stuck on the cigarette holder side.

The next thing I did was clean the speed sensors. Well it wasn't needed at all because they were clean as hell. I don't remember cleaning them. But everything came out easy as hell and the bolts were like barely tight.

r

So I finished that way faster than I thought I was. So then what to do? I figured, since the wheels are off. Might as well paint the calipers right? lol I was pretty lazy to thoroughly clean them though. So I just did the bare minimum and just spray the **** out of it with brake cleaner and wipe it down. Then I went ahead and painted it using a brush so I didn't have to mask anything off :rofl: I went for a semi-gloss look because glossy would take too many coats :p

Before:

After (Looks glossy in the picture for some reason. Maybe it wasn't dry yet.):

Yes I know, they are taken from different sides because I forgot to take a before picture while I was painting lol I only realized that I should take a before picture after I finished painting the other 3 calipers already :lmao:

Pretty much all I got done. I just ended up doing more **** that wasn't on my agenda lol

Oh yeah, I wanted to show people the newer BMW screw driver. This thing is awesome. They are god damn geniuses lol I loved the one we had, but this one is so much better.

The handle is black

There's a 10mm socket at the end (as you can see, I have been using it lol)

On the side you put the screwdriver part in, you have an 8mm socket

And a slot to put the metal stick in to make it a T-Handle so you can have more leverage for those bolts

Awesome right? :thumbsup: lol

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
So today, I decided that I was just going to fill the coolant and start on my other stuff rather than waiting for Mishimoto. Well, I didn't get too far. Pretty much started filling, then I hear something leaking. Looked around, and bam, lower radiator hose is leaking from the connection point :ben: Great another Mishimoto product fail. I haven't even used it yet and it failed on me. So now I gotta wait until Monday to contact them again to get this sorted out. I already fired off an email, but I doubt that will get to them.

I'm unsure of what the problem is, but I suspect it's a bad o-ring.

When I took off the intake boots, I was wondering why I couldn't even get the lower one on all the way. Well I found the problem.

From the lip of the TB to the outer edge of the groove it's 3/16".

Hmm, so why is the edge of the lip to the groove on the Mishimoto hose 5/16"? Also, it wasn't cut straight so some sections for 4/16" up to 6/16" (i know, i should simplify the fractions, but it's easier this way)

I marked it all the way around the hose in case I want to cut it later.

It's perfect on the OEM hose

I didn't take pictures of this, but I also measured the ICV part. So the ICV connector starts exactly .5" after the TB part goes in all the way. Well they are way off here. So now I need to cut off another 3/8" off that one.

They should have put an alignment tab on the lower hose. It's hard to hold it in place while you're tightening it. It keeps moving back out. Even if the hose were perfectly cut, I doubt I can even get it to the angle that it needs still.

So with nothing done, to make things more tedious for next time. The weather decided to sprinkle/drizzle on me. So that meant I had to clean up and cover the lift. Ended my day early.

At this point, I'm thinking I should try to get Mishimoto to give me a refund and I just go back to OEM. We'll see though.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
Looks good. Im still not sure if my magnaflow is clamped together correctly. Every time the exhaust is off the car I find myself tinkering with the clamps

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Looks good. Im still not sure if my magnaflow is clamped together correctly. Every time the exhaust is off the car I find myself tinkering with the clamps
I would just weld it tbh. That's what I would do, it's just that I might sell this in the future so I haven't welded it yet.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
Why bother with the Mishimoto? Seems like every single product you got from them has a problem. I would ask for a refund and just go back to OEM.

Also, is there a way to convert from those "quick-connect" style clamps to regular hose clamps? fter thousands of miles they become "i-want-to-blow-my-head-off-trying-to-get-these-off" clamps. Maybe custom radiator...if the E36 thermostat housing and thermostat fit?

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Why bother with the Mishimoto? Seems like every single product you got from them has a problem. I would ask for a refund and just go back to OEM.

Also, is there a way to convert from those "quick-connect" style clamps to regular hose clamps? fter thousands of miles they become "i-want-to-blow-my-head-off-trying-to-get-these-off" clamps. Maybe custom radiator...if the E36 thermostat housing and thermostat fit?
Yeah well if I could even contact them lol I just tried calling them, and of course there is no one there. Left a message. So now I'm trying my hand at online chat, they said they will contact someone to contact me :rolleyes:

Well I mean, you could technically cutoff the hose section and just put a new hose in between the two disconnects which is like what a lot of silicone manufacturers do. We just need some o-rings that never break down.

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Hi OP, I like the M3 mirrors. How did you wired it up? I assume your stock ones were the ribbon type connector? Beautiful car BTW!
Thanks. Yeah my car is ribbon. I pretty much just swapped the mirror motors and then created a spacer so that I could mount the motors to the mirrors.

Here's a DIY you could follow. I didn't have a DIY when I did mines though, but it's the same process:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9723-Retrofit-OEM-M3-side-mirrors-doityourself&highlight=mirror+retrofit

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks. Yeah my car is ribbon. I pretty much just swapped the mirror motors and then created a spacer so that I could mount the motors to the mirrors.

Here's a DIY you could follow. I didn't have a DIY when I did mines though, but it's the same process:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?9723-Retrofit-OEM-M3-side-mirrors-doityourself&highlight=mirror+retrofit
Thanks for the link. What I'm still not sure about is the actual taking apart the mirror assembly, ie motors, glass, etc.

·
Registered
32,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Thanks for the link. What I'm still not sure about is the actual taking apart the mirror assembly, ie motors, glass, etc.
Ah ok. Yeah that part is pretty easy if you just go slow and make sure to look at everything before you move on. It's pretty much just some screws holding the motor down, and then that bracket that you have to take off that is shown on the DIY link. The glass just pops off your car. There's a DIY for that on this forum somewhere too.

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,941 Posts
I've done the mirrors. Its not necessarily complicated (unless you sever a ribbon cable which requires a very difficult repair or a new motor alltogether). Its mostly just playing with it and creating a spacer and drilling it into the perfect spot.

161 - 180 of 262 Posts