BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

241 - 260 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The fenders actually look really good with the facelift and mtech 2...damn.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Might have to start messing with mine again lol

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Nice car brother. Love the story so far. Did your rims sit flush on the rear quarters running those tires?
I had to roll the rear fenders. But after that it fits fine. If anything on hard compression, it slightly rubs on the inside now. But once I get the M3 rears on it should be a non-issue since I'll probably add a spacer.

The fenders actually look really good with the facelift and mtech 2...damn.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Might have to start messing with mine again lol
Thanks. Yeah I haven't seen anyone else do the same all these years. Plus all the people that put on M3 fenders on the facelift coupe only do the arch. I looked at a ton of pictures trying to get reference material to show my body shop. Since I did the entire fender, that was useless lol

The rear bumper though. That is going to be a hard one. Afaik, no one has done M3 rear fenders with MT2 rear. I have an idea, not sure if we can pull it off. I don't wanna go with M3 rear like everyone else lol

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I had to roll the rear fenders. But after that it fits fine. If anything on hard compression, it slightly rubs on the inside now. But once I get the M3 rears on it should be a non-issue since I'll probably add a spacer.

Thanks. Yeah I haven't seen anyone else do the same all these years. Plus all the people that put on M3 fenders on the facelift coupe only do the arch. I looked at a ton of pictures trying to get reference material to show my body shop. Since I did the entire fender, that was useless lol

The rear bumper though. That is going to be a hard one. Afaik, no one has done M3 rear fenders with MT2 rear. I have an idea, not sure if we can pull it off. I don't wanna go with M3 rear like everyone else lol
The rear is going to be fun I bet. I agree not going an m3 rear. The tough part, and what I've been trying to figure out, is how to get the rear to "look" a little lower, if that makes sense. I noticed on mine, the CSL trunk kind of makes the mtech look short. (I've been looking for a diffuser add on, or something to add underneath).. Looking forward to see what you end up doing with yours.

Btw I can also see why the vorsteiner hood fits better with the m3 fenders. ...the height gap on the drivers side annoys me lol.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Found this btw (custom rear arches though, not m3 quarters)

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #246 (Edited)
The rear is going to be fun I bet. I agree not going an m3 rear. The tough part, and what I've been trying to figure out, is how to get the rear to "look" a little lower, if that makes sense. I noticed on mine, the CSL trunk kind of makes the mtech look short. (I've been looking for a diffuser add on, or something to add underneath).. Looking forward to see what you end up doing with yours.

Btw I can also see why the vorsteiner hood fits better with the m3 fenders. ...the height gap on the drivers side annoys me lol.
I think I get it. Like it's too thin I guess. I guess you could try extending the bumper downwards? My friend xjunmoonx did it on his car. I think he extended it down like 3" then did the first CSL diffuser on mt2. Though his car was a sedan, so imo it only made his car look even taller lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/sillieidiot/Bimmer Fest 09/DSC00416.jpg

Only picture I could find. End goal still was m3 fenders/arches still. But I don't think that ever happened.

Iono what I'll do about that yet. But I'm planning on getting quads because the car will now looks wide but have these tiny tips on one side. It'll look "off" I guess. I was thinking that If i got the quads, it would help make the rear bumper look lower overall.

Found this btw (custom rear arches though, not m3 quarters)

Yeah I think I've seen that. A lot of times with the arches people put it lower than it really is on the M3. So the arches are actually protruding out less. You can see it if you look at an M3 fender. The top of the arch goes way higher/closer to the body line. Then that arch line continues until like halfway down the rear bumper.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I think I get it. Like it's too thin I guess. I guess you could try extending the bumper downwards? My friend xjunmoonx did it on his car. I think he extended it down like 3" then did the first CSL diffuser on mt2. Though his car was a sedan, so imo it only made his car look even taller lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/sillieidiot/Bimmer Fest 09/DSC00416.jpg

Only picture I could find. End goal still was m3 fenders/arches still. But I don't think that ever happened.

Iono what I'll do about that yet. But I'm planning on getting quads because the car will now looks wide but have these tiny tips on one side. It'll look "off" I guess. I was thinking that If i got the quads, it would help make the rear bumper look lower overall.

Yeah I think I've seen that. A lot of times with the arches people put it lower than it really is on the M3. So the arches are actually protruding out less. You can see it if you look at an M3 fender. The top of the arch goes way higher/closer to the body line. Then that arch line continues until like halfway down the rear bumper.
Yup that’s all I think it would need, like 2 inches lower or so. That looks perfect actually. I agree definitely go for quads :thumbsup:

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Did this like a couple of days ago. But since covid19, no car and nothing to do, I made this :idea:

It's the trunk tool screw holder thing. My tool box keeps falling off cause the groove in the piece is too small for the thickness of the fiberglass on my CSL trunk. So I just made this and made the groove larger lol I don't have my car to test yet, but at least I got the basic shape and thread sizing down. It'll only take seconds to adjust the groove size and like an hour to print another one if it doesn't fit.

I actually made a few things, but this was the only e46 specific thing. I made a Pi Zero W case the other day. Making a letter opener today :rofl:

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
140 Posts
Nice work with the 3D printed nut! I'm curious as to how well the printed threads will work with the encapsulated screw. I'm thinking of quickly CADing a cupholder insert for my eurotray and printing that - I really like it and want to keep it, but whenever I get takeout it's a PITA. I have to ask for a drinks tray, then a cup of water to balance the tray so it doesn't topple over

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Nice work with the 3D printed nut! I'm curious as to how well the printed threads will work with the encapsulated screw. I'm thinking of quickly CADing a cupholder insert for my eurotray and printing that - I really like it and want to keep it, but whenever I get takeout it's a PITA. I have to ask for a drinks tray, then a cup of water to balance the tray so it doesn't topple over
Thanks. It works great. I actually removed the screw from the tool kit so that I could test/adjust the threads. So I know that they fit together. The only thing is test fitting on the trunk.

You should use the ultimate cupholder. That's what I have in the car for those times that I need a drink. But I put the cupholder on the passenger side. It gets in my way when I'm driving when I try to put it on the driver's side. I can still reach over and grab the drink no problem, so it works for me.

https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
140 Posts
Thanks. It works great. I actually removed the screw from the tool kit so that I could test/adjust the threads. So I know that they fit together. The only thing is test fitting on the trunk.

You should use the ultimate cupholder. That's what I have in the car for those times that I need a drink. But I put the cupholder on the passenger side. It gets in my way when I'm driving when I try to put it on the driver's side. I can still reach over and grab the drink no problem, so it works for me.

Interesting, I'll have to check it out! I was actually thinking of retrofitting an E38 rear cupholder to the rear seat. I rarely drink while driving, so this would be a perfect OEM+ solution to transporting drinks that come with take-out. Just gotta be patient and find a cheap one from a part-out. I've seen some guys get lucky with one from a junkyard for $5, but people who know what these are ask $40+ for one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITG7amh5_A

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Interesting, I'll have to check it out! I was actually thinking of retrofitting an E38 rear cupholder to the rear seat. I rarely drink while driving, so this would be a perfect OEM+ solution to transporting drinks that come with take-out. Just gotta be patient and find a cheap one from a part-out. I've seen some guys get lucky with one from a junkyard for $5, but people who know what these are ask $40+ for one.

Oh yeah I remember seeing that. But I usually see people try to put it in the rear armrest. That is a way better spot. Although, I'm planning to eventually delete my rear seats though so it wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

How'd you mount it on the passenger side? I have one, just need to find a way to mount it.

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
How'd you mount it on the passenger side? I have one, just need to find a way to mount it.
It just goes in the same way you do the driver's side. I have it just in front of the seat rail near the console.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Why wouldn't you just install the OEM E46 rear cupholder?

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E46-Sedan/USA/325i-M54/L-N/jun2002/browse/seats/seat_rear_center_armrest_multifunction

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #257

·
Registered
32,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
140 Posts